Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage cranks but no start!

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage cranks but no start!

This is the first time it happened to me but I was just starting the car and it wouldn't start. It would only just turn over and turn over and turn over. I had to add some gas to the accelerator to finally get it going. It only has 30,000 kilometres on it so is this a fuel filter or fuel pump issue?
    2019 ES+

Country
    Macedonia
    Thanks
    If I may hijack your thread, I also encountered a similar issue yesterday. It was more of a once-in kind of scenario, as I've "restarted" the car several times and now it works fine. At first, when I started it, it ran for a few seconds and shut itself down, but - similar to you, when I added some gas to the pedal it started working fine. Will try today with a cold start, and share the results. I'm at 5000km, planning on taking it to the dealer if this happens again and will share the results.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Did you, prior to this incident, run the (cold) engine for only a few seconds, and then leave it for a longer time? It's a known issue that a Mirage then will have problems to start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The Mirage tends to flood easily if its engine is run for only a few seconds, especially in cold weather conditions. If this happens clear the flood condition by holding the accelerator pedal to the floor while the engine is cranking. Again, this is to clear a flood condition. Otherwise don’t press the accelerator pedal while starting the engine. The engine electronic fuel management system handles all that. Pressing the accelerator pedal while cranking the engine can contribute to engine flooding problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Looking forward to a response from Lemmy. One time I cranked up the Mirage, started backing out the driveway and I see my son walking down the walkway toward the driveway. I shut off the car because I thought I might talk to him for a while. I talked to him maybe 30 seconds. When I recranked, it was more difficult than normal. So yes, I figure that situation of mine, to be the flooded engine scenario. It's never done it since.

Lemmy's situation also reminds me of a situation The Warden was having with her Matrix. She would gas it up, and immediately after, it would not want to start. Any other time it would start just fine. Did some research, turns out it was (I forget the exact name) but an emissions related valve. The valve is supposed to close when the car is off. But when it fails, it stays open. When it remains open, the fumes from the tank flood into the engine when gassing up. Then the engine won't crank because it is flooded. ~$15 later, and replacing this valve myself, it starts just fine after gassing up.

I bring that up because Lemmy didn't mention if he had just gassed his car up. In any event, it does kind of sound like his engine is flooded when trying to start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only thing similar I've experienced is a really rough-running start: The engine started, but it was barely running, and was really rough, almost as if a cylinder wasn't firing. After I pressed the accelerator, it smoothed out, and has run normally ever since.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    First fairly cold day here was Tuesday 11/28 with a high of 25F. The wife said it would just crank and crank so she put her foot on the gas pedal and got it going. This happened one other time a few days after the Krown treatment done. That day the temps were mild. I rushed home from work thinking the wife damaged the engine because it spun like the rings were washed. BOTH times she swears she did not so much as bump the accelrator pedal. Has anyone else had these flooding type occurances on later years? Ours is a 2021.

Yeah, that's super common. I have it happen sometimes when I pull a car into the shop. When I go to drive it out later sometimes it's flooded. Usually holding the throttle works but sometimes it doesn't.

It happens less often on the 2017 and newer ones. I haven't seen the 2023's flood yet, we only have 2015-2019 then a few 2023's at work. Having a good strong battery can help prevent flooding from occuring, imo. The oem ones are rated pretty low, after a few years they loose some juice. The aftermarket replacement batteries that I install have a fair bit more cca than the stock one. I think stock is around 400cca and the ones I use are 640cca.
    Last edited by Fummins; 12-01-2023 at 07:21 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (12-01-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Sometimes the search function may be of help.
    See below how to get rid of over-enrichment (and reduce flooding) when cold. In particular look at the first and last post:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ment-when-cold

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Sometimes the search function may be of help.
    See below how to get rid of over-enrichment (and reduce flooding) when cold. In particular look at the first and last post:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ment-when-cold
    It is shocking to me how many times this topic has come up and a simple search would have sufficed...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

foama (12-04-2023)