Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Nissan CVT's FAIL

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Why Nissan CVT's FAIL

Excellent video on the teardown of a Nissan CVT and speculation why it fails so often. Much of this we already know, but this rather humorous take on the teardown/analysis is really well done. Worth a watch

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Grumpy Bear (01-04-2024),MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like it, especially how he keeps gesturing with the toothbrush LOL... I'm Italian and every time I talk I gesture haha. Really cool what it looks like on the outside and inside.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I like it, especially how he keeps gesturing with the toothbrush LOL... I'm Italian and every time I talk I gesture haha. Really cool what it looks like on the outside and inside.
    He's a funny guy who always uses his "brothers" and "wife's" stuff while making the videos That's his "brothers" toothbrush he used as a pointer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's nice that he talks very clearly and slowly as well... I loved how he used the lever to simulate and show exactly what happens in the transmission... Especially when he pulled up the e-brake and you could see the transmission lock up... Very cool... Always makes you wonder all of those tiny little pieces... What happens if one of them breaks? Big bucks $$$ that's what...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's nice that he talks very clearly and slowly as well... I loved how he used the lever to simulate and show exactly what happens in the transmission... Especially when he pulled up the e-brake and you could see the transmission lock up... Very cool... Always makes you wonder all of those tiny little pieces... What happens if one of them breaks? Big bucks $$$ that's what...
    As he stated, these things aren't designed to be serviced, just replaced....very, very expensive solution for even a minor breakage. Thankfully the CVT in our little Mirages are really the only time this series of CVT's actually works without any real issues if serviced regularly.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah usually what happens is when that belt breaks those two pulleys connect and then the whole transmission grenades itself... I have a mechanic friend of mine who's known my family for 30 plus years... And showed me a brand new Honda Accord CVT transmission... Yeah it failed and they wanted six grand just for the transmission... Not including labor... Yikes! My next car down the road was going to be a Prius prime or Prius.... I don't know... I know Toyotas last pretty long but you not only have the CVT to watch for but the hybrid system itself if something goes... Uhhh I don't know... Lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah usually what happens is when that belt breaks those two pulleys connect and then the whole transmission grenades itself... I have a mechanic friend of mine who's known my family for 30 plus years... And showed me a brand new Honda Accord CVT transmission... Yeah it failed and they wanted six grand just for the transmission... Not including labor... Yikes! My next car down the road was going to be a Prius prime or Prius.... I don't know... I know Toyotas last pretty long but you not only have the CVT to watch for but the hybrid system itself if something goes... Uhhh I don't know... Lol
    They're great...if you don't keep them past their expiration date (read: the end of the warranty ). They are very well designed and made.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True, I miss the Toyotas of old... 4 speed solidly built automatics and port and direct injected engines that could last 200,000 miles... But now with all the safety systems in cars too now? I test drove a Toyota Prius with my friend a couple days ago and while it was nice not to shift my gears I did experience a lot of slippage from just slowly starting off... Not to mention the dang lane departure that kept pulling me back in my Lane or when I put it in reverse and had that backing up truck sound... Ugh .... Now that was annoying no engine noise, no nothing...just beep beep beep lol. Maybe for a lease

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True, I miss the Toyotas of old... 4 speed solidly built automatics and port and direct injected engines that could last 200,000 miles... But now with all the safety systems in cars too now? I test drove a Toyota Prius with my friend a couple days ago and while it was nice not to shift my gears I did experience a lot of slippage from just slowly starting off... Not to mention the dang lane departure that kept pulling me back in my Lane or when I put it in reverse and had that backing up truck sound... Ugh .... Now that was annoying no engine noise, no nothing...just beep beep beep lol. Maybe for a lease
    I don't know, I was a staunch Corolla fan for many, many years prior to coming over to the dark side with my Mirage, lolz. I like the Mirage, no question about it, but that legendary Corolla durability was not a joke. I put hundreds of thousands of miles on those tanks with minimal issues. I hope this nets at least 100,000 miles of bliss....otherwise I will be very put off

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh well if I really wanted complete reliability I'd get a old 2012 Yaris with the four speed automatic or if I speed manual. But nah, I'll take my 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage over that any dayI love the forum and the people too much to leave!

Even if I got a different car I'd still stay on this forum.

I will say this though and I'm sure you can attest to this: the old Toyotas will last much longer than any new Toyota now.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post: