Thread: Mitsu Canada to offer both manual and CVT transmissions. What about U.S.?

Mitsu Canada to offer both manual and CVT transmissions. What about U.S.?

There seemed to be some question in a few US automotive blogs/websites about whether or not North Americans would get the choice of a manual transmission or just the CVT.

Drivers in other countries may have heard that U.S. drivers in particular - even more than in Canada - overwhelmingly opt for automatic transmissions. They've shunned manuals for years, and they make up just a fraction of new sales. So you can see why this might factor into marketing/options decisions for a car company selling on the west side of the big pond.

However, a Canadian Mitsu dealership has posted this:

It's expected to come with a 1.2L 3 Cylinder engine, with transmission options of both automatic and manual
    Source: http://www.mitsu.ca/mirage.htm

So let's call this "unofficial official" news. (Really, we have to take it with a grain of salt - someone at this same dealership said on YouTube that the car will have a 70 MPG (US) EPA rating, which is let's say a tad optimistic.)

But if it's true, it's really fantastic news for those who enjoy the engagement a manual brings to driving... and for drivers skilled enough in DIY cog swapping to beat the fuel economy of even a well-designed CVT.

Australian and U.K. drivers also get the choice of manual or CVT. The question still remains for the manual-averse US market though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think manuals are only about 10% of the market here in the US, but that's across all car makes. They are somewhat more popular on small cars, and I think it will hurt not to offer a manual option.

That makes sense -- that manuals would make up a higher percentage in entry-level cars where buyers are most sensitive to price.

EG: if going for an automatic raises the total cost of a car by 10% ($1,200 option on a $12,000 car), a person would be more likely to hesitate.

It would be interesting to see some stats for transmission choice in some of the lower cost new cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I don't know of any way to tell for sure, but one test I use is look at local dealers' inventory. If you want a manual Fiat 500, no problem. There are dozens at the nearest dealer. On the other hand, if you want a manual Ford Fusion, you'll have to order one. No one has one within 50 miles of me.