Thread: Non-Responsive Proximity Key (when near cell phone)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exclamation Non-Responsive Proximity Key (when near cell phone)

About 50% of the time when I attempt to unlock my car using the proximity button on the door, it does not respond. I have to press the unlock button on the key fob. Then when I attempt to start the car, there is no response. If I again take the key fob out of my pocket and wait a few seconds, I'm able to start the car. Other times, I'm able to unlock the car and start it with the key fob in my pocket, but immediately after starting the car, the "no key" light flashes in the instrument cluster. These all seem like indicators that the key fob battery is dying. I don't know how long the batteries typically last in these, but mine is 3.5yrs old. After a few months of this issue, I figured it couldn't be an issue of a dying battery, since it's still working after all these months. Then it dawned on me. I keep the key fob and my cell phone in the same pocket. I started keeping my phone in a different pocket and wouldn't you know, that solved the problem! Apparently the electromagnetic field the phone gives off interferes with the proximity key signal.

I wanted to share this story with everyone in case others are experiencing similar no entry, no start issues. It was a very annoying! Glad it was something simple.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 07-06-2017 at 06:11 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to palebeachbum For This Useful Post:

Eggman (07-06-2017),MetroMPG (07-06-2017),MightyMirageMpg (07-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reminder! This is also mentioned in the owners manual in a Note in the section describing the operation of the F.A.S.T key fob.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

palebeachbum (07-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I had the same issue and moving my cell phone from the same pocket as the fob cured it. The constant pinging cell phones do to stay connected must disrupt the low power transmitters on the FAST key fob.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)