Thread: Is it worth seeking out Top Tier gas?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Is it worth seeking out Top Tier gas?

Wondering what people's thoughts are on Top Tier gas - I know there's been some studies where it helps at least a little bit, but are people seeing that in practice? It used to be pretty easy for me to find it, but over the past 5 years a lot of the local chains are no longer Top Tier (specifically SuperAmerica after its switch to Speedway, Holiday, and Kwik Trip/Kwik Star.) This is especially in my thought process during road trips - I like stopping at Holidays and Kwik Trips/Kwik Stars on road trips as they typically have clean bathrooms and a robust convenience store, but if I'm harming my engine/getting big dips in fuel economy by doing so maybe it's worth figuring out a new reliable chain that's still Top Tier.

My two main questions are:
    1. Does non-Top Tier gas notably reduce engine life due to the decreased detergent blend?
    2. Is there a measurable impact on fuel economy with the Mirage?

Thanks in advance!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2024 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jebr View Post
    My two main questions are:
    1. Does non-Top Tier gas notably reduce engine life due to the decreased detergent blend?
    2. Is there a measurable impact on fuel economy with the Mirage?
    Thanks in advance!
    1.) Top Tier means more detergent than is required by Federal Law. There is a Federal Minimum. So, all gas sold in the USA has detergent additives. Reduce engine life? More like reduce injector cleanliness which may lead to fuel related issues.

2.) Motor doesn't know what name is on the valve cover. There is a study by Red Line showing that injector and chamber cleanliness does have an impact of fuel economy. Here's a link to that study.

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/f...Tech_6.20_.pdf

Most good fuel system treatments contain PEA. (PolyEtherAmine) The Backbone of Chevron Techron gasoline retail detergent additive. Also, backbone of Red Line SI-1 and Gumout Regane. Of these three Red Line has the highest percentage of PEA then Techron and finally Gumout Regane. All that means is a change in treat rate. Cheap isn't always. None of them are. I've use all three with good results.

Others use alcohols or mineral spirits or some other less effective chemical.
    Last edited by Grumpy Bear; 01-22-2024 at 01:44 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I've never used a drop of anything in any fuel tank. I use the least expensive gas if given the chance. Not saying I'm right or wrong. But I've always gotten good fuel economy and never had a fuel system issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-22-2024),jebr (01-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Contractor tells you your house could be about to collapse due to a termite infestation. Homeowner says, "Can't be, house is still standing."

Believing a thing because someone makes an accusation is about as wise as not believing because you never noticed its effects. Cancer patients with stage four liver cancer often deny the condition because they feel no pain. My Grandfather was among those.

Gasoline, even treated gasolines, leave deposits. Some are normal, some less so. Borescope can unravel that if you take a look.

https://www.mobil.com/industrial/~/m...n-v2.pdf?la=en

Gasoline is full of aromatics. It's what gives it detonation resistance. It is also what leaves deposits. You oil choices can help that or hurt it. You fuel choice does too. Maybe you're fine, maybe you're not. Look and then decide. What's a look cost you?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpy Bear For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-22-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dunno, I don't wanna look. if I did, I might see something. I'd rather not see anything. If I don't see anything, then all is well!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dunno, I don't wanna look. if I did, I might see something. I'd rather not see anything. If I don't see anything, then all is well!
    You are in good company. Nearly no one does.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hehehehe. I crack me up. I'm the funniest guy in this forum ... except for most everyone else.

Which means I'm not funny. I have a warped engineering sense of humor, wrapped up in a Shrek sized package.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Hehehehe. I crack me up. I'm the funniest guy in this forum ... except for most everyone else.

Which means I'm not funny. I have a warped engineering sense of humor, wrapped up in a Shrek sized package.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)