Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Fuel warning (gas gauge flashes well before empty)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Then it's not true what the manual says. 29 liters fill-up was when it flashes with no blocks at all ... for a while (around 25 km flashing without any blocks)
    :-) My first tank reciepe is saying tanked 25.77L and I had one block blinking and I filled the tank right away after the blinking starts. I assume that it is a 35L tank but that the flashing is not started when there is 6 liter left over .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I usually fill up when I'm on two bars or less. I do not wait till there's no bar.. at least I'm sure that the fuel pump is still submerged in fuel - and that's good practice I believe.

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks
    Today i went to fill up my car, after all the squares dissapear put 27 litres with 525 km on the screen with 5,3 litres average. So the tank had 8 litres left??

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya'll need to live a little! I've managed to put in a little over 34L a few times. Thats 9 gallons. I just reset my trip odometer every tank, and reset the B trip when it starts flashing at me. I have chanced a 100km trip with it blinking upon start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-25-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    All these posts are right in line with my experience. Usually I can have the entire gauge start the "flashing empty" thing, drive another 40-50 km (with the AC on, a good part of it in the infamous Manila traffic), and have 29-30 liters go in when I fill up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Just because I like bumping 5 year-old threads...

I joined the "flashing fuel gauge" club today!

This is the first time in my new-to-me Mirage seeing one blinking bar/segment. The trip odo is showing 730 km (453 miles).

I'm going to drive through the next low fuel warning stage: one blinking bar + blinking gauge.

AND THEN I'm going to drive into no-more-bars + blinking gauge territory, just to get a feel for my car's "reserve" capacity. I may bring along a little gas can just in case.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

This is the first time in my new-to-me Mirage seeing one blinking bar/segment. The trip odo is showing 730 km (453 miles).

I'm going to drive through the next low fuel warning stage: one blinking bar + blinking gauge.

AND THEN I'm going to drive into no-more-bars + blinking gauge territory, just to get a feel for my car's "reserve" capacity. I may bring along a little gas can just in case.
    What happens to your car?

When you run out of gas, your engine will start to hesitate and sputter and eventually stop running. Your car will go dead, wherever this occurs.

This is bad for you, and for your vehicle. It can cause mechanical damage to your fuel system and engine, and it can increase the chances of getting in an accident as a result of the sudden loss of power.

Some of the mechanical damage can include:

Clogged fuel lines and fuel injectors: This can be caused by debris inside the tank that gets sucked in when it settles to the bottom of an empty tank. It’s more common in older vehicles that have deteriorating metal gas tanks (most modern cars have plastic tanks), but it can also be caused by an old or worn-out fuel filter that lets sediment in the gas get through.

Overheated fuel pump: Your fuel pump sends the gas in your tank to the engine. It lives at the bottom of your fuel tank, where it is both cooled and lubricated by the gas that passes through it. When you run out of gas, it can lead to overheating of the fuel pump, which can require an expensive replacement. The more times you run out of gas, the more likely the fuel pump will be ruined.

Above taken from:
    https://repairpal.com/blog/running-o...gas-damage-car

There's still more than 1.5 gallons left when all the bars disappear and the entire gauge is blinking on my Mirage. I am already headed to the gas station at that point.

I would treat my the car the opposite of what you are doing. I would make sure the tank is full with fresh gas, & I would run some Techron through it. I would do this especially after reading in another thread your engine oil was very dark and dirty. I would even change my oil again sooner rather than later in your case. If I thought a used car was a little neglected, I would give it some TLC.

I know a number of members have ran of out gas without issue, but that doesn't mean they haven't shortened the life of the fuel pump in the process. The tank holds 9.2 gallons of gas. I don't have to use it all up to figure that out.

It's your car, & I am sure many of you know way more about cars than I. No matter what you do, you aren't going to use more than 9 gallons to fill up. I'd place a wager on that!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-26-2019),x111951753 (04-15-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    What happens to your car?

When you run out of gas, your engine will start to hesitate and sputter and eventually stop running. Your car will go dead, wherever this occurs.

This is bad for you, and for your vehicle. It can cause mechanical damage to your fuel system and engine, and it can increase the chances of getting in an accident as a result of the sudden loss of power.

Some of the mechanical damage can include:

Clogged fuel lines and fuel injectors: This can be caused by debris inside the tank that gets sucked in when it settles to the bottom of an empty tank. ItÂ’s more common in older vehicles that have deteriorating metal gas tanks (most modern cars have plastic tanks), but it can also be caused by an old or worn-out fuel filter that lets sediment in the gas get through.

Overheated fuel pump: Your fuel pump sends the gas in your tank to the engine. It lives at the bottom of your fuel tank, where it is both cooled and lubricated by the gas that passes through it. When you run out of gas, it can lead to overheating of the fuel pump, which can require an expensive replacement. The more times you run out of gas, the more likely the fuel pump will be ruined.

Above taken from:
    https://repairpal.com/blog/running-o...gas-damage-car

There's still more than 1.5 gallons left when all the bars disappear and the entire gauge is blinking on my Mirage. I am already headed to the gas station at that point.

I would treat my the car the opposite of what you are doing. I would make sure the tank is full with fresh gas, & I would run some Techron through it. I would do this especially after reading in another thread your engine oil was very dark and dirty. I would even change my oil again sooner rather than later in your case. If I thought a used car was a little neglected, I would give it some TLC.

I know a number of members have ran of out gas without issue, but that doesn't mean they haven't shortened the life of the fuel pump in the process. The tank holds 9.2 gallons of gas. I don't have to use it all up to figure that out.

It's your car, & I am sure many of you know way more about cars than I. No matter what you do, you aren't going to use more than 9 gallons to fill up. I'd place a wager on that!
    Yah, I get nervous when I get below 1/2 tank. Especially here on the Southern Oregon Coast. I'm living at ground zero of the projected Cascadia Subduction Zone mega quake of 9.0 or higher. Projections are no electricity for a month minimum. So I figured that having enough gas to leave the area or have fuel to get supplies might be pretty important. So along with the rest of my earthquake survival supplies, having plenty of fuel in my vehicles is prudent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-26-2019)

FYI, I'm intentionally doing this to get a picture of the car's reserve capacity / gauge accuracy. Not planning to make it a regular thing. It's potentially useful to know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

YES! data like that can help.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)