Thread: US: Mitsubishi promises new products -- Mirage sedan likely

US: Mitsubishi promises new products -- Mirage sedan likely

Another article where Mitsu's CEO emphasizes they are in the U.S. market for the long run, including plans for the Mirage sedan:

Through October, U.S. sales have surged 30 percent to 64,564 vehicles, well ahead of the industrywide 6 percent gain. Sales of the Outlander Sport, Mitsubishi's best-selling nameplate, were up 25 percent to 25,620 vehicles, while the No. 2-selling Mirage notched volume of 14,240, against the 495 units sold when it was trickling into the U.S. last year.

"It's performing beyond expectations," Masuko said of the pint-sized Mirage. "There was a hike in volume, and it helped revitalize the dealers. It is contributing to our profit."

The success of the three-cylinder Mirage has emboldened Mitsubishi to consider following with its Thailand-built sedan version, sold as the Attrage and Mirage G4 overseas, Masuko said.

That sedan version could arrive in the second half of the next fiscal year, he said, meaning sometime between October 2015 and March 2016.
    Full article: http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...s-new-products

May require subscription to view.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, that'll be a good boon for Mistu here in the US as we seem to like sedans more than hatches.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I want the sedan now!!! Bring it over and let us buy them right meow

Well the Mirage probably isn't making them a lot of profit, but it's getting tens of thousands more people into showrooms this year than last. And some of them might even end up buying more profitable models.

If they had a stronger product lineup, the Mirage might never even have crossed the sea. That makes me glad it became a small part of their "comeback" plan for North America.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Well the Mirage probably isn't making them a lot of profit, but it's getting tens of thousands more people into showrooms this year than last. And some of them might even end up buying more profitable models.

If they had a stronger product lineup, the Mirage might never even have crossed the sea. That makes me glad it became a small part of their "comeback" plan for North America.
    I'm no marketing genius, but I think when Honda and Toyota first came to this hemisphere, they did it by introducing inexpensive, basic cars. They knew they could establish a name, reputation, and loyal customer base this way, and then move up market. Toyota took decades to get into the full size pickup market. I have a soft spot for Honda since first saddling up on the z5o mini-bike.

Tesla, on the other hand, made a fantastic car and established their bona-fides that way. When they offer a half-priced model that people can afford, I suspect it will be a success too. I suppose there are various roads to success!

Mitsubishi has the legend of the EVO, and now the gateway of the Mirage - should bode well for them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

More U.S. news coming this week - LA Auto Show

We may be getting some more tidbits about the sedan specifically and Mitsu in general at an L.A. Auto Show presentation:

Designing Our Future: Mitsubishi Motors LA Auto Show Press Conference And Lunch

WHO: Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
    WHAT: Watch the North American debut of the Mitsubishi Concept XR-PHEV and find out how the brand is designing its future in the U.S. market at the Los Angeles Auto Show Press Conference. Lunch and drinks will be served immediately afterwards.
    WHERE: WEST HALL | Los Angeles Convention Center | 1201 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles
    WHEN: Thursday, November 20th at 11:35 AM
    LUNCH TO FOLLOW
    WHY: Learn more about the XR-PHEV and how the brand is designing its future. Hear directly from MMNA executive vice president, Don Swearingen, about sales successes in 2014, and how Mitsubishi will carry that momentum forward.

Source: Mitsu ... http://media.mitsubishicars.com/phot...2-b549d28d7181

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think it is awesome they are bringing the sedan here to the US, however, I am a hatchback kind of guy so I am PERFECTLY happy with my 2015 Mirage hatchback. A wagon version would be a hit I think as well for those who just needs the cargo in a small car. Maybe I am wrong but I remember those Saturn tiny wagons and they were a hit for a while, could totally see how Mitsubishi could do the same. (Not, and never was a fan of Saturn but my grandmother had one and she had it for years and had like 200,000 miles on it.)

I've never had a Saturn either, but they intrigued me. You can pick up the older, efficient 5-speed ones for about a grand around here. And they still look good because of the plastic panels. (Not so sure about the underneath though!)

---------

Maybe some more sedan news today from the LA auto show??

WHEN: Thursday, November 20th at 11:35 AM (Pacific time, I assume)
    LUNCH TO FOLLOW

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd like to have a sedan mirage, but to be honest, I'm really liking my hatchback. Perhaps when it comes time to replace the wife's Corolla we will look into a Mirage Sedan. (Dirty little secret... the supposedly "cheaply built" Mirage is just as solid, just as comfortable, and nearly as fast as a 06 Corolla S, which probably cost nearly twice as much new.)

I too had a saturn - a 2003 Ion. Great little car. Reliable as an anvil, reasonably fast, comfortable, good AC. Best part was when I had to fix some bodywork (It came to me with a bent bumper) I expected the work to take all day. But no - stripping the car all the way to the radiator supports, changing the bumper support, and putting it all back together took me 30 minutes. Why can't they all be like that?

"We are clearly focusing on another Mirage sedan."

In case there was any lingering doubt about sedan plans for the U.S., those words came straight from the mouth of Mitsu USA's Executive VP, Don Swearingen today in an interactive chat on Jalopnik.

"We are clearly focusing on another Mirage sedan."
    Man, if I'd known in advance about that Q&A session, I definitely would have thought up some questions.