Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage warranty repairs -- have you had any done? Or problem-free so far?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

engine noise = replacement

Noise has continued to increase. My service manager feels it is piston scoring and I am getting a new block under warranty. Bye 0w-20.

I started getting the noise around 47k miles. It is most pronounced for the first few minutes of operation. It smoothes out but never stops altogether once the engine is warm.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 04-11-2018 at 01:40 PM. Reason: (Copied from other thread)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New block has been in for 3 weeks and no issues so far. greatly improved MPG at all operating conditions. Could not get any pics :-(

Added to the list of cars with known engine block replacements in post #220. That makes 4 that we know of.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    When I bring my car in for the latest recall notice and to have the rear camber issue taking care of, I'm also going to see if they are willing to replace all of the lug nuts under warranty. They're rusting! Surely that's a safety issue in the long run.
    The lugnuts are "capped" with a chromed tin cover to mimic high end solid, chromed nuts. The rust is on this tin cover while the actual nut underneath is perfectly fine and safe. The rust condition is merely cosmetic so it's hard to get warranty replacement but some here have won that fight.
    Note though that when these nuts corrode enough the "cap" can spin on the nut and even pop off which changes the effective size of the lugnut necessitating use of a different size socket to remove/install them. (several of this type have done this on my jeep liberty so every wheel requires two sockets to remove/replace. It's a PITA but still mechanically safe.)
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    1) IchabodCrane's 2014 had low compression, middle cylinder:
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post67681

2) This 2014 that I found for sale also had engine replaced due to low compression, according to the seller:
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...4882#post64882

3) Darkfly600's 2014 also needs a new engine:
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...d-a-new-engine!

Coincidence that these cars are all 2014's and driven in Canada?

4) bcressy1987 replacement for engine noise:
    http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post69620

Well, there goes the Canada hypothesis, but it is the northeast US.
    The "unofficial" explanation for the failure of mine included a metallurgical issue with the pistons. It was said the piston material simply shrank too much in "extreme" cold allowing piston to rock within the cylinder causing excessive scoring on cylinder walls.
    Before the Mirage's introduction in North America the car was not used in climates with long cold seasons.
    This was well b4 we knew of reprogramming to remedy over rich cold start issue which may or may not have contributed also.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-11-2018),inuvik (04-11-2018),MetroMPG (04-11-2018)

Thanks for the extra info. Interesting that it may only be an issue for cold climate cars then.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought I was going to have to take mine in once. This happened just after I had hit a deer with mine and it was repaired at a local body shop. I was driving along and the car suddenly died as I was coasting down a hill. I restarted and the check engine light came on. I was right by the local Autozone so pulled in the engine died again. I restarted so I could get it into the parking spot. I had them read the codes. I don't remember the code but it was like some mismatch between the expected readings from the MAP, TPS, and MAF sensors.

I am not intimately familiar with this car yet like I am with the Geo Metro as it hasn't really needed work. I decided to just unplug and replug all the harness connectors under the hood that looked like they belonged to the sensors in question and then some. The car started back up and ran normally. The check engine light went out a short while later without needing to be reset. I think the body shop had disconnected something and it wasn't quite seated upon re-assembly. This problem has never happened again.

This has been a trouble free car so far and I am happy. It isn't needed anything besides routine oil changes. I am probably coming up on brake and tire replacements but those are wear items as well.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    '17 Mirage G4 SE purchased November 2016 and has been trouble free over the year plus and 8,500 miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Two 2017 Mirage ES's trouble free only one additional out of pocket expense 1 hubcap

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There was a soft clinking sound emanating from the driver's side front every time the wheel went over a rough surface. I was convinced it was loose steering or suspension linkages and/or joints.

The first time I took the car to the dealership they said they tightened the suspension and steering linkages and joints and returned it to me. Noise persisted.

The second time I took the car to the dealership, they removed the plastic hubcaps, told me the noise was coming from them, and returned the car to me. Noise persisted.

The third time I took the car to the dealership, I requested the service writer to drive the car with me or have a mechanic drive the car with me. He complied, and within minutes of driving on a rough road, the mechanic heard the soft clinking.

The mechanic took the car back into the bay and later the service writer told me that the mechanic had found the brake caliper bolt(s) loose, and upon tightening it/them, eliminated the noise.

The car rolls noiselessly now. To those who say and accept that suspension noise is common, normal and acceptable, I can only tell you that my car does not have suspension noise when moving over rough roads. I do not drive at speed over such surfaces.

2017 Mirage ES
    26k miles
    CVT tranny
    Bought used in 2018
    165 65 14 Dunlop Enasave tires

Last edited by FrugalDriver; 07-18-2018 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Added car information
    2017 Mirage ES
    27k miles
    CVT tranny
    Bought used in 2018
    165 65 14 Dunlop Enasave tires

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FrugalDriver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-18-2018)