Thread: Krown Rust proofing, or just wash undercarriage regularly?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Krown Rust proofing, or just wash undercarriage regularly?

I just moved to Ohio this year, and I just got a 2023 mirage. As winter approaches I have considered getting a Krown rust proofing treatment which costs $130. I made an appointment for a few weeks from now.

Alternatively, I could just wash it regularly underneath to get any salt off, I have found a trusted car wash where this would be convenient.

For a 2023 Mitsubishi mirage, is a Krown treatment worth it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajb746 View Post
    I just moved to Ohio this year, and I just got a 2023 mirage. As winter approaches I have considered getting a Krown rust proofing treatment which costs $130. I made an appointment for a few weeks from now.

Alternatively, I could just wash it regularly underneath to get any salt off, I have found a trusted car wash where this would be convenient.

Absolutely! It's all the hidden places that washing won't get to that causes so much rust. Here's a thread that shows where your Mirage will rust.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...sis-corrosion)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-11-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Worth it 100%. I've had my Mirage for almost 10 years, and this is my 10th winter in Ontario with my Mirage... and my Mirage's body looks new. Looks good underneath too.

Krown sprays from the inside, so it saves the doors etc. from the inside. And they spray the carriage underneath of course.

Not to be redundant, but I really believe my own Mirage would be pretty rusty by now, if it weren't for me doing this. They say the treatment helps save a lot of other components in the car as well, like the electrical.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-10-2023),Top_Fuel (10-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajb746 View Post
    Absolutely! That should be the first thing you should get done to the car (in my opinion).

Although they like you to come back every year, I have found that having the full-blown Krown treatment isn't necessarily required every year for someone who lives where the winters are fairly mild (95% of Ohio). The dealer who applies it should have cans like this for sale...

Name:  Krown.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  45.5 KB

Pick up one of those cans. Then you can use it next year to spot treat your car where needed.

Whenever someone posts pictures of their suspension, engine compartment or bottom of the car...you can tell immediately if the car has never been treated with an oil based rustproofing spray. Nothing has been painted/coated very well at the factory and these cars (if unprotected) can start looking a little ratty with surface rust after 2-3 years of road salt.

What part of Ohio are you in and where are you getting it done? I used to go to a guy in Versailles...but he retired a few years ago and now I think his business was sold and operates out of Yorkshire (not even sure where that is).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Let's see if Foama will share an image of his undercarriage. IIRC its immaculate!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A thing to keep in mind about car washes is that, unless you know for sure otherwise, they recycle their wash water in order to conserve water and save on water heating costs. They filter the recycled water effectively but the salt that is washed off the cars can't be filtered out so you end up blasting high pressure salty water (in the winter time) into every nook and cranny!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-11-2023)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dookaughs View Post
    Let's see if Foama will share an image of his undercarriage. IIRC its immaculate!
    The picture is from maybe two years ago, but that is exactly what it looks like today. No difference.
    Painting both axle bodies, the exhaust, much of the underbody, and spraying rattle-can cavity wax in all cavities especially the seams, was 100% worth every effort! I don't know about smearing ever-sticky goo or Kroon on the underside, but rustproofing a new car is a must if you want it to last and save big $$$. Its so very much less effective and more difficult to do it right if done later.

Rust is like tooth decay, a little effort starting early saves a whole lot of trouble later.

Attachment 26016

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-10-2023)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just got the car this year and I have rust proofed it this year and plan to re-apply annually.

Using whatever the mechanic had to rust proof, (not krown), going to try a test of conventional rust proofing vs graphene based rust proof solution.

Testing by rust proofing 2 bolts with 2 different solutions then leaving it under the car for a winter and seeing what happens.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunbeam For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-10-2023)