Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fog Lights? (Installing fog lights on existing factory wiring?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fog Lights? (Installing fog lights on existing factory wiring?)

I recently purchased a 2015 Mirage. I don't have fog lights, since mine is a base model... but I notice I have a fog light switch on the lever! I also seem to have a fuse in the correct place. And there is a connector that goes nowhere, with four wires, taped to the wiring harness.

So my question is this: Can one of my fellow Mirage drivers who has fog lights, take a picture of the wiring? The connector in question is in front of and below the battery, taped to a finger-thick bundle of wire. I think there are purple, red, and yellow wires, and a fourth wire color I can't remember. I'd like to know if, possibly, the wiring is present for the fog lights in a car that didn't come with them, since so far the switch and fuse are there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    just buy a oem fog light kit its plug and play that's what i am doing with my mirage .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by axeldsm1 View Post
    just buy a oem fog light kit its plug and play that's what i am doing with my mirage .
    So, if the OEM fog light kit is plug and play, then I was right- all the wiring is there. Not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on the OEM kit if the fog lights I have from another project can be installed.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    So, if the OEM fog light kit is plug and play, then I was right- all the wiring is there. Not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on the OEM kit if the fog lights I have from another project can be installed.
    Mitsubishi tend to be very lazy with things like that.
    All the wiring is usually there in most cases. Just takes a bit of fiddling to hook it up.
    I plan on getting Euro DRLs for mine when I can find them

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If there appears to be wires going down where the fog lights are, just test them for 12V power when your fog light switch is on. You'll then have to wire up your own connectors (since you don't have OEMs) to the lights you have. It shouldn't be too hard.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    I think the foglight switch on the handle is only for the backside foglight? (it is on mine)
    I would like to connect foglights on the front side as well I was thinking of these:
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/produ...-fog/index.jsp
    But I would need the foglight switch for the front (should go next to the Auto Off switch, left of the steeringwheel)
    If it needs extra wiring it could get expensive

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have a Canadian Mirage with fog lights. From my experience, it appears that the fog light switch is not actually a switch, but activates a relay that turns on the fog lights. The relay drops out when you shut off the car, so you have to turn it on each time you want the lights. You would have to check to see if you have the relay, or just the wiring.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiMi For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-24-2014),Tinker1980 (11-23-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    I have a Canadian Mirage with fog lights. From my experience, it appears that the fog light switch is not actually a switch, but activates a relay that turns on the fog lights. The relay drops out when you shut off the car, so you have to turn it on each time you want the lights. You would have to check to see if you have the relay, or just the wiring.
    That's what I need to look for then. The fuse is there, according to the owner's manual.

When I take my car in for it's first service, I think I may see if I can look at a new mirage that has fog lights.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just viewed the fog lamps that Dutch posted. They are the real thing not these ersatz bulbs that pass for fog lamps. I drive with fog lamps on at night because they give you a low band of light that makes driving safer for us ole guys. Wish that Mitsu made DRL standard in the US. Would no doubt cost a few cents.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Buinger View Post
    Just viewed the fog lamps that Dutch posted. They are the real thing not these ersatz bulbs that pass for fog lamps. I drive with fog lamps on at night because they give you a low band of light that makes driving safer for us ole guys. Wish that Mitsu made DRL standard in the US. Would no doubt cost a few cents.
    On my 2015, I have automatic headlights. So if I want my DRL's, I just leave the switch on.