Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 89

Thread: Fog Lights? (Installing fog lights on existing factory wiring?)

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    300
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 147 Times in 69 Posts

    Fog Lights? (Installing fog lights on existing factory wiring?)

    I recently purchased a 2015 Mirage. I don't have fog lights, since mine is a base model... but I notice I have a fog light switch on the lever! I also seem to have a fuse in the correct place. And there is a connector that goes nowhere, with four wires, taped to the wiring harness.

    So my question is this: Can one of my fellow Mirage drivers who has fog lights, take a picture of the wiring? The connector in question is in front of and below the battery, taped to a finger-thick bundle of wire. I think there are purple, red, and yellow wires, and a fourth wire color I can't remember. I'd like to know if, possibly, the wiring is present for the fog lights in a car that didn't come with them, since so far the switch and fuse are there.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    ewing, new jersey
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    120
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 56 Times in 31 Posts
    just buy a oem fog light kit its plug and play that's what i am doing with my mirage .

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    300
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 147 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axeldsm1 View Post
    just buy a oem fog light kit its plug and play that's what i am doing with my mirage .
    So, if the OEM fog light kit is plug and play, then I was right- all the wiring is there. Not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on the OEM kit if the fog lights I have from another project can be installed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 101 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    So, if the OEM fog light kit is plug and play, then I was right- all the wiring is there. Not looking to spend hundreds of dollars on the OEM kit if the fog lights I have from another project can be installed.
    Mitsubishi tend to be very lazy with things like that.
    All the wiring is usually there in most cases. Just takes a bit of fiddling to hook it up.
    I plan on getting Euro DRLs for mine when I can find them

  5. #5
    Administrator Daox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Germantown, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,885
    Thanks
    1,950
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 630 Posts
    If there appears to be wires going down where the fog lights are, just test them for 12V power when your fog light switch is on. You'll then have to wire up your own connectors (since you don't have OEMs) to the lights you have. It shouldn't be too hard.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing
    Current project: Developing a rear sway bar alternative

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 41.7 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)


  6. #6
    Junior Member Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Baden-Württemberg
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    19
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    I think the foglight switch on the handle is only for the backside foglight? (it is on mine)
    I would like to connect foglights on the front side as well I was thinking of these:
    http://www.osram.com/osram_com/produ...-fog/index.jsp
    But I would need the foglight switch for the front (should go next to the Auto Off switch, left of the steeringwheel)
    If it needs extra wiring it could get expensive

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    93
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 40 Times in 24 Posts
    I have a Canadian Mirage with fog lights. From my experience, it appears that the fog light switch is not actually a switch, but activates a relay that turns on the fog lights. The relay drops out when you shut off the car, so you have to turn it on each time you want the lights. You would have to check to see if you have the relay, or just the wiring.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)


  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiMi For This Useful Post:

    MetroMPG (11-24-2014),Tinker1980 (11-23-2014)

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    300
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 147 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    I have a Canadian Mirage with fog lights. From my experience, it appears that the fog light switch is not actually a switch, but activates a relay that turns on the fog lights. The relay drops out when you shut off the car, so you have to turn it on each time you want the lights. You would have to check to see if you have the relay, or just the wiring.
    That's what I need to look for then. The fuse is there, according to the owner's manual.

    When I take my car in for it's first service, I think I may see if I can look at a new mirage that has fog lights.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Just viewed the fog lamps that Dutch posted. They are the real thing not these ersatz bulbs that pass for fog lamps. I drive with fog lamps on at night because they give you a low band of light that makes driving safer for us ole guys. Wish that Mitsu made DRL standard in the US. Would no doubt cost a few cents.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    300
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 147 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Buinger View Post
    Just viewed the fog lamps that Dutch posted. They are the real thing not these ersatz bulbs that pass for fog lamps. I drive with fog lamps on at night because they give you a low band of light that makes driving safer for us ole guys. Wish that Mitsu made DRL standard in the US. Would no doubt cost a few cents.
    On my 2015, I have automatic headlights. So if I want my DRL's, I just leave the switch on.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •