Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Speedlab's supercharged Mirage 1.2L

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Nice video, thanks for posting it. Seems like the Mirgae is practically there without all the complications.
    I am hoping electric superchargers capable of 3-7psi boost will become available, 15-30sec boost is what you ever need in this car in normal driving conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

gone.a (09-15-2016)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    I am hoping electric superchargers capable of 3-7psi boost will become available, 15-30sec boost is what you ever need in this car in normal driving conditions.

They are available now, but they are not cheap at all and they use a LOT of electrical juice for a short period of boost.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was gonna say, the stock airbox would be a huge flaw for air flow, but it seems later someone did a top mount inter-cooler with a pod filter. More air plus more fuel equals more power. the stock air box, no matter how much air you force through it or from it, is a restriction when going for boosted applications, sure oem turbo and supercharge systems usually have an airbox design, but those are generally designed to match the oem performance, "oem performance" being the key word, once you go above what the oem design can do, you need to upgrade.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/basic_tuning/03.html

this also takes me back to the whole "aftermarket exhaust hinders performance" which is absolute b.s. a poorly designed exhaust will hinder performance, a properly tuned exhaust will gain power. now granted, boosted applications absolutely need a bigger exhaust than stock, period. look at subaru's, stage 2 on an sti is basically a new air filter for more flow, downpipe from turbo (larger) and an exhaust (3" usually). couple that with the stage 2 tune and they gain tons of power, because "boosted". take away the exhaust and intake filter, and try the same tune, and you wont gain anything because of the oem "restrictions"

Thanks
    Funny, the air filter on my Mirage is significantly larger than the air filter on my former 1999 Nissan Maxima, with almost 3 times the displacement

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-14-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    They are available now, but they are not cheap at all and they use a LOT of electrical juice for a short period of boost.
    I haven't really looked but haven't really seen any commercially available. If it were I'd get one for Prius.

By "not available" excludes the cheepo chinese computer fans from eBay.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't really looked but haven't really seen any commercially available. If it were I'd get one for Prius.

By "not available" excludes the cheepo chinese computer fans from eBay.

Exactly. It is all in the design of the fan, as well as what kind of motor is connected to it. Those Ebay ones may flow 300 cfm, but you could put one on a lawn mower and it still would not provide any boost.

One of the true electric superchargers that I have seen utilized 3, more or less, starter motors connected up to a traditional supercharger. It would provide about 10 psi of boost on a small Honda motor (1.6L or 1.8L), but it needed something like 300 amps of current to do so.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The idea of a 5amp fan to "supercharge" is laughable at best. You need a properly designed compressor, 20-40,000RPM and 3-7kW motor.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The idea of a 5amp fan to "supercharge" is laughable at best. You need a properly designed compressor, 20-40,000RPM and 3-7kW motor.
    Yes, an engine is an air pump. To think you can pump the pump with locally generated electricity and increase its flow is laughable at best. We are already relying on exploding fuel and air to begin with. Measure the exhaust and if you can get a small motor to produce more CFM's, then hook it up to the intake. Now go get a custom program on your ECU (on a dyno).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    To think you can pump the pump with locally generated electricity and increase its flow is laughable at best.
    Yes, it is laughable. Ford is doing this. From what I remember, they use a electric fan to spin up a turbocharger to eliminate turbo lag. I remember Jay Leno took one for a test drive - a Focus, I think.

Crazy, indeed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes, it is laughable. Ford is doing this. From what I remember, they use a electric fan to spin up a turbocharger to eliminate turbo lag. I remember Jay Leno took one for a test drive - a Focus, I think.

Crazy, indeed.
    He also has a helicopter jet engine powered motorcycle. I know Volvo or Audi is using a Compressor with Air tanks to do short bursts. Using an electric engine to push that amount of CFM's and requiring any sustainability would require a lot of power and the engine would not be generating it... Now maybe if you install an external gas powered generator or compressor...

EDIT: If you were able to recapture the coast/braking energy of the wheels to compress air and store it, then the boost would always have some get up and go!

Last edited by HitShane; 03-14-2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: EDIT