Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Speedlab's supercharged Mirage 1.2L

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Yes, it is laughable. Ford is doing this. From what I remember, they use a electric fan to spin up a turbocharger to eliminate turbo lag. I remember Jay Leno took one for a test drive - a Focus, I think.

Crazy, indeed.
    The laughable part isn't that this wouldn't work in principle; laughable part is those fleeBay kits they sell. The kit consists of regular bathroom fan with 5amp/12v motor and claims "huge increase in HP".

First of all fan is designed to move air, not to compress it. 2nd you need more than 60w to compress 4cf of air a second to 15psi (Mirage engine sucks in ~2CF/second at 6,000 RPM).

Properly designed electric supercharger needs to have housing similar to turbocharger and high RPM electric motor, or gear box. Also 12v isn't gonna cut it as it will require 300-600 amp currents.

Now I would love to get my hands on commercially viable electric supercharger, but if there are any they will cost many times more than off the shelf turbo and custom made manifolds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    The laughable part isn't that this wouldn't work in principle; laughable part is those fleeBay kits they sell. The kit consists of regular bathroom fan with 5amp/12v motor and claims "huge increase in HP".

First of all fan is designed to move air, not to compress it. 2nd you need more than 60w to compress 4cf of air a second to 15psi (Mirage engine sucks in ~2CF/second at 6,000 RPM).

Properly designed electric supercharger needs to have housing similar to turbocharger and high RPM electric motor, or gear box. Also 12v isn't gonna cut it as it will require 300-600 amp currents.

Now I would love to get my hands on commercially viable electric supercharger, but if there are any they will cost many times more than off the shelf turbo and custom made manifolds.
    Plus, then you would need larger injectors, a higher flow fuel pump, tuned Fuel pressure regulator, and a ECU Tune! You can't add more air without adding more fuel or you are running lean and you cant do either without telling the computer what to do with it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Plus, then you would need larger injectors, a higher flow fuel pump, tuned Fuel pressure regulator, and a ECU Tune! You can't add more air without adding more fuel or you are running lean and you cant do either without telling the computer what to do with it!
    Haven't looked but I think the OEM injectors could be big enough to handle mild boost. On DSM one of the first things to do was to re-wire and/or replace pump and different pressure regulator, and depending on year there was a little bit or a little bit more wiggle room to play with before you needed larger injectors.

Until you can get exhaust manifold and downpipe for <$300 I wouldn't even look into all this. Not spending 3-5k on kit, period.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Haven't looked but I think the OEM injectors could be big enough to handle mild boost. On DSM one of the first things to do was to re-wire and/or replace pump and different pressure regulator, and depending on year there was a little bit or a little bit more wiggle room to play with before you needed larger injectors.

Until you can get exhaust manifold and downpipe for <$300 I wouldn't even look into all this. Not spending 3-5k on kit, period.
    Exactly, for 5k I can buy any used car with 3 times the power stock as the Mirage lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Exactly, for 5k I can buy any used car with 3 times the power stock as the Mirage lol.
    The only guys who would be interested are the ones who autoXing them. Car is well balanced and surprisingly good handler, after you fix the spring rates and shocks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know this thread is old but where do I buy this in usa? Sounds rare and hard to find

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickodo View Post
    I know this thread is old but where do I buy this in usa? Sounds rare and hard to find
    Here, I Googled "Speed Lab" for you. http://www.speedlab.com.ph/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Email them and I'm sure they'd be happy to sell you whatever you want.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I'm actually looking around as to where I can find the supercharger kit for the mirage. I have a 2015 and I've been looking for about 3 months and wasn't able to find anything. If you could tell me where exactly to get one along with a link that would be great. I see that speed labs is working on one but are they for sale yet? Lms if you have seen or heard anything about it.
    Thank you

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tdemenezes2 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm actually looking around as to where I can find the supercharger kit for the mirage. I have a 2015 and I've been looking for about 3 months and wasn't able to find anything. If you could tell me where exactly to get one along with a link that would be great. I see that speed labs is working on one but are they for sale yet? Lms if you have seen or heard anything about it.
    Thank you
    Sounds like a great question to email them directly with...