Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change quick question

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Oil Change quick question

I am in the process of an oil change here at home and allowing the oil to drain into a round pan. When that finishes and I get to the part where I unscrew the filter.......can i just move the same pan over a bit under the filter to catch the oil that falls out of the filter?

What my question is = Will the oil pan be large enough to catch both "streams" of oil at the same time that are coming from the 2 different places?

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I am in the process of an oil change here at home and allowing the oil to drain into a round pan. When that finishes and I get to the part where I unscrew the filter.......can i just move the same pan over a bit under the filter to catch the oil that falls out of the filter?

What my question is = Will the oil pan be large enough to catch both "streams" of oil at the same time that are coming from the 2 different places?
    I suppose that depends on the size of your drain pan.

I bought a cheap disposable turkey roasting pan at the grocery and have dedicated it to dirty jobs like oil changes and such.

P.S. I use a Fumoto valve for draining directly into a bottle and will use a pan for when I change the filter.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-23-2019 at 02:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol, not to judge but depends on the size of your pan, not all pans are created equally...
    My pan is a larger rectangular one.
    I place it further out and remove the drain plug as the initial oil will squirt out farther..
    after the initial oil is out and it goes to a drip, I move the pan so it's below both and remove the filter.
    Mine will easily fit under both locations.
    Hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Doooot,,,, eggman beat me!!!!
    Darn you slow phone typing fingers!!!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-23-2019),fc321 (11-25-2019)

I changed mine last night. My drain pan fit under both just fine I think its a 5 gallon?Whoever changed my oil last Didn’t put any kinda gasket/washer on the drain plug, it had a pretty slow leak and the filter wasn’t very tight, and was a cheapo brand.

If you haven’t already, didn’t the Thin washer On the drain plug installed from the factory and get an aluminum one, you can reuse them a handful off times and are easier to replace.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Aron View Post
    Doooot,,,, eggman beat me!!!!
    Darn you slow phone typing fingers!!!!
    Cracks me up that we race to be first to respond/help answer questions here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (11-23-2019),fc321 (11-25-2019),Fummins (11-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My drain pan is 13.5 inches in diameter and I can "usually" manage this by scooting the pan towards where the filter oil will come out until the stream from the drain plug area is almost at the opposite edge of the pan. I also save big panels of cardboard when I get a big box and keep them in my garage. When I change oil I put the cardboard down under the car to catch any spills. Every now and then I get a significant miss, almost always a drop or two, and the cardboard saves the floor from being even messier.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pawpaw For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-25-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I might be a bit late, but expect some oil to come out the back of the small black-painted starter bash plate.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

fc321 (11-25-2019)

Better yet, pull up on the curb over a catch basin. Outta sight outta mindDon’t drop the drain plug!
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-23-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Still learning how to spell

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-23-2019),fc321 (11-25-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, I was able to finish successfully. I made a Jerry-Rigged little device by cutting a half-gallon of milk jug in half and then using a string to create a handle and then I used a large garbage-bag tie (When you buy Kale at Whole Foods Market) to tie it to the radiator hose:

Here is a top down view and you see it garbage-bag-tied to the radiator hose:

And here is how much oil it caught. Did not spill a single drop:

I also have a Fumoto valve and followed this procedure:

1) Put oil pan under and opened the valve
    2) When flow started to slow down I opened hood of the car and opened the fill cap to allow oxygen inside
    3) When flow became a slow drip of droplets I placed that half-gallon-of-milk contraption underneath and then removed the oil filter.....there is a metal feed ramp that will divert the oil directly into your half-gallon-of-milk thingee

THis may be helpful to members that want a "No-Mess oil change"

Thanks for your fast responses. I always say one of the best things about buying the Mirage is not even the car itself but rather this FORUM with the wealth of wisdom and the positive attitude of the members. This forum is so good that it has emboldened me to do maintenance that I used to pay mechanics to do and so it has saved me alot of money and also increased my mechanical knowledge. God bless you guys for the content that you contribute and this is the best car forum that I have ever participated in. I mean just compare it to the Chevrolet Spark forum where its just a circle jerk of complaints against General Motors and stories of sorrow. (mostly)

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-23-2019),craigq (11-23-2019),Eggman (11-23-2019),Fummins (11-23-2019)