Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage G4, hatch to challenge fuel economy record. UPDATE: 1,647 km on one tank!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome! Thanks for posting!

According to my math I get (US):

Mirage HB M/T= 86.4 MPG (miles travelled from first un-official report post#7)
    G4 CVT =85.4 MPG
    G4 M/T =92.6 MPG

I'm just glad I'm not driving the gas guzzler CVT! (Just kidding )

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-27-2016)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    This was a fun idea but i think the mileage claims from most manufacturers are downright dishonest. In the UK they claim mpgs of 70-80 (imperial) which no one has a chance in hell of achieving in normal driving. How can one judge, and compare, what a car really can achieve when faced with these stupid claims.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its not really the manufacturer's fault. Mitsubishi (and everyone else) just runs a standard test cycle to get that 80 mpg rating. Is it unrealistic? Yep, totally, but its the standard test and thats what it gets.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2004 View Post
    This was a fun idea but i think the mileage claims from most manufacturers are downright dishonest. In the UK they claim mpgs of 70-80 (imperial) which no one has a chance in hell of achieving in normal driving. How can one judge, and compare, what a car really can achieve when faced with these stupid claims.
    In the US the Mirage Hatchback is supposed to get 34 city, 42 highway, and 37 combined if it is a manual. (This is for a US gallon, 3.8 liters) The stickers on the cars at the dealer say this.

I have yet to get less than 41 mpg, with the exception of my very first tank of gas. I normally get 44-45, just driving normally. My commute includes several miles of very stupid, very confused, very distracted people in town, so there's no way I'm doing well on gas mileage.

This is, however, EPA ratings in the US - perhaps in other countries they try to get the best possible mileage for the tests?

It just comes down to test methodology.

Currently the U.S. has the most "realistic" fuel economy ratings system that I know of. Canada just adopted the U.S. system.

Australia's current system is similar to the one Canada just abandoned (ie: mileage numbers that are optimistic for the vast majority of drivers).

Europe's rating system is even more wildly optimistic.

But Japan's are the worst.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It just comes down to test methodology.

Currently the U.S. has the most "realistic" fuel economy ratings system that I know of. Canada just adopted the U.S. system.

Australia's current system is similar to the one Canada just abandoned (ie: mileage numbers that are optimistic for the vast majority of drivers).

Europe's rating system is even more wildly optimistic.

But Japan's are the worst.
    So true Here in Europe Im suposed to do 55 mpg I'm strugling with 49-50 XD(in bad weather though, it is literally raining all the time

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    But someone please explain how you Americans(US) can hypermile 90+ mpg, I don't get it. it is impossible

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    To get 90 mpg you need optimal conditions. Those being:

Low speed
    Use pulse & glide technique (turning your engine off)
    Very little brake use including engine braking
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-27-2016)

And warm weather.

And no traffic to interfere.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-27-2016)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Managed 99.9 m.p.g. once with a '07 Prius 2 we had . Started from convenience store gas pump after fill of tank at the east end of city to the inside of the garage ( remote door helped ) at the west end of city. The trip was 2 of us , all city with no hitting of red lights ( maybe 1 out of 9 ) , 2 stop signs and very little traffic . Think it was after 7 p.m. and about 6 miles of mostly level streets .

Last edited by cinder; 04-28-2016 at 02:55 AM.