Thread: Mirage ES vs Ford Fiesta SFE 1.0 3 Cylinder Hatchback

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage ES vs Ford Fiesta SFE 1.0 3 Cylinder Hatchback

I started as a Geo Metro owner. My Metro ran faithfully for 5 years up until just recently when the head gasket failed and I determined it wasn't worth the $$$ to keep the Metro running any longer. Sold the Metro for parts having been solidly addicted to excellent fuel economy, I picked up a 2014 Mirage ES in Plasma Purple. I loved the car, the color is eye catching and sparked conversation wherever I took it. Having driven the Metro for so long, it was a natural transition.

The wife however wasn't as thrilled with the Mirage and since I plan on keeping the wife longer than I plan on keeping the car it was time to go shopping (again). My first stop was to www.fueleconomy.gov to see who the closest non-hybrid competitor to the Mirage was. The result: Ford Fiesta SFE Hatchback with 1.0 turbocharged Ecoboost engine.

I hunted one of these Fiestas down and gave it a test drive. The dealer in question gave me the keys and let me tool around in town solo. I spent about 25 minutes driving around town and immediately I noticed the difference in acceleration. The Fiesta sports 124hp for the Mirage's 74 and it was readily apparent.

Other notes, having had both now:

--> The Ford rides and handles better - the body roll is not evident in hard corners in the Fiesta.

--> The Mirage has better audio options: trying to put an aftermarket deck in a Fiesta is a nightmare because of the Ford SYNC hardware, and lack of a standard 1DIN or 2DIN cage.

--> Mileage is comparable, with the edge going to the Mirage in the city. I miss the push button keyless start. Gauge options between the two are comparable.

--> Steering wheel controls between the two are nearly identical.

--> Ford has heated seats and a heated side view mirror.

--> I prefer the Ford shifter. The Mirage shifter is fine, but the Ford does a better job of conveying when the car is solidly in gear. Hard to pinpoint exactly but it certainly 'feels' better (firmer) when shifting the ford.

--> The clutch spring in the Mirage is nothing compared to one in the Fiesta - I could see my legs getting tired in heavy traffic and with the Mirage that would have never been an issue.

--> Cabin noise is similar between both whether in traffic, or when stationary.

--> The Ford offers better peripheral vision.

--> Mirage stock wheels are 14" Fiesta is 15" Wheels are wider on the Fiesta.

--> It cost an extra $40 to get the Fiesta windows tinted due to two small triangular windows on each side front and back.

--> Seats about the same as far as comfort with maybe the edge going to the Ford.

--> A tad more space in the hatch in the Fiesta.

--> No fog lights on the Ford, and they are not available as a dealer purchasable accessory afterwards.

--> I know the weathertech mats fit the Mirage perfectly, the set I have coming for the Fiesta won't arrive until Saturday, so no data yet.

--> The Mirage is less expensive than the Ford by about $2-2.5K new.

For reference, I traded my Mirage against the Fiesta with only 1500 miles on it. I was given $10,500 in trade value. The Fiesta was used with only 4k miles, had a price of $13,3k and I paid the difference of $2800+tax.

I certainly hope Mitsubishi adds a turbo to the Mirage, it would certainly bring me back to take a look. Hopefully they can reduce some of the body roll issue in a future model.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 11-27-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: (formatting)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elaramus For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-27-2014)

Thanks for the unbiased comparison. We'll be sorry to see you go!

Though maybe you'll stop by periodically to keep us updated on the Fiesta -- quality issues, fuel economy, etc. I'd jump at the chance to try one, myself -- suits my driving perfectly (mostly highway).

Mind saying what specifically your wife didn't like about the Mirage? I'm surprised that she was OK with a Metro but not the Mirage!?

I could see my legs getting tired in heavy traffic and with the Mirage that would have never been an issue.
    Yup, the Mirage clutch is insanely easy to use. City driving is no excuse to get the automatic!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Thanks for the unbiased comparison. We'll be sorry to see you go!

Mind saying what specifically your wife didn't like about the Mirage? I'm surprised that she was OK with a Metro but not the Mirage!?
    One word: Color.... while I was perfectly fine with the color shift that plasma purple does going from light purple to bright pink in the open sunlight, she couldn't stand it... I fended off hundreds of comments like "rainbows and unicorns coming from the tailpipe", "Hello Kitty mobile", "Barney mobile" etc... but the wife couldn't take it..

That's funny.

Now I know of one person who bought a Mirage for no other reason than *because* it was plasma purple and one who got rid of it for the same reason!

Didn't want to just get a different colour Mirage? Or were you just curious about the Fiesta 1.0 turbo?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats on your new car!! So what color did you get? please post some pics if you get the chance. This was the only other car I was seriously considering, but could not find one to test drive. I don't think I could have purchased a car without the push button start though anyways, as this is such a cool feature. Please do keep us updated on your mileage and thoughts on both vehicles after you have driven the Fiesta for a while. Enjoy your new car!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Now I know of one person who bought a Mirage for no other reason than *because* it was plasma purple and one who got rid of it for the same reason!

Didn't want to just get a different colour Mirage? Or were you just curious about the Fiesta 1.0 turbo?
    When I bought my Mirage, the only Fiestas available had the 1.6L 4 cylinder. I looked at the 4 cylinder to be throrough, I liked the car, but couldn't justify the mileage or the extra price. When it came time to go shopping again, I doubled down on my efforts to find a 1.0L because now I REALLY wanted to know what it drove like. I also started considering other models like a Chevy Sonic. Ultimately I wound up driving 3 hours away to find my car. I purchased it from a dealer near Orlando, FL.

I should add, that I did go back to the dealer that I purchased my Mirage from to inquire about moving from my plasma purple 2014 to a blue 2015 Mirage. He didn't have the blue 5-speed I desired and instead offered me a swap to a Thunder Grey 2015 for $5500. I wasn't too impressed with the offer and that encouraged me to go back and look at other offerings.

Last edited by elaramus; 11-27-2014 at 07:51 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to elaramus For This Useful Post:

fatcat (11-27-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like the torque curves on the GTDI engines; nearly diesel like! Most torque at nearly off idle.

With that said, I'm not too fond of timing belts. And the belt driven oil pump scares me to be honest. Depending on how well the engine holds up (and the belts don't fail at 100K), I'd consider a Focus with one.