Thread: Engine Oil Accessibility

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Engine Oil Accessibility

Contrary to my expectations, loosening the filter was a royal PITA. There's too little room between the radiator fan cover and the filter to work. Ideally, I would have used a 3/8" drive articulated extension no longer than an inch inserted to the filter tool and the wrench, but lacking that I ended up using a long breaker bar to loosen it from above.

The so called "oil filter cover" below the filter is not tilted enough to prevent the oil from running over the bottom and get to the starter. At the end I cleaned the oily mess spraying brake cleaner.

Can anyone give some tip to make my life easier the next oil change?

Last edited by R01k; 11-28-2014 at 06:55 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    Contrary to my expectations, loosening the filter was a royal PITA. There's too little room between the radiator fan cover and the filter to work. Ideally, I would have used a 3/8" drive articulated extension no longer than an inch inserted to the filter tool and the wrench, but lacking that I ended up using a long breaker bar to loosen it from above.

The so called "oil filter cover" below the filter is not tilted enough to prevent the oil from running over the it's bottom and get to the starter. At the end I cleaned the oily mess spraying brake cleaner.

Can anyone give some tip to make my life easier the next oil change?
    If you didn't tighten your new filter too tight, it should be much easier to take off, obviously. As for the oil drip, I loosen the filter a turn and let the old oil drip out of the filter and off the cover lip for a few minutes before completely loosening the filter, making sure I keep it tilted up as I slide it off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used a large channel lock pliers to loosen the oil filter from above. And like Cookiemonster, I let the oil drain out slowly before removing the filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fifteenwindow View Post
    I used a large channel lock pliers to loosen the oil filter from above.
    That sounds much easier than what I did.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The original filters are always impossible to come off it seems.

I couldn't get the one on my Focus off by hand. So I tried with a filter wrench (used on diesels and fuel filters). No luck. Tried channel locks ... nothing. Moved on to the screwdriver trick and it ripped the filter apart. Had to drive it off with a screwdriver and hammer. Nuts!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've found the least hassle way for me to get at the oil filter is to remove the plastic, undercover sheet that protects from crap flying up into the engine bay from the road. With that out of the way, you have great access going from below with your 3/8" ratchet and oil filter cap wrench.

Here's to a smoother oil change next time!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    ...remove the plastic, undercover sheet...
    I thought of that, but didn't want to pluck out all those rivets.