Thread: TPMS removal question

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

TPMS removal question

Hello All,

Today I got wintertires and had asked for removing the TPMS modules. I had in mind to place them on my to buy new rims summerwheels.

Unfortunally they could not remove them because they did not find a screw or something like that to get it disconnected from the Rubber Valve Stem? Unfortunally I didn't thik about making a photo .

So now I have a winterwheel set with TPMS in it.
    Did somebody see how to remove the TPMS module from the Rubber Valve Stem and how to reconnect it?

and or a (cheap) alternative for new TPMS modules too place in my to buy summerwheel set.

Thanks Walter

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do not have a photo of one but there is a small spring loaded shiny metal tab to depress and the sensor pulls right off the valve stem.
    Same way to put back on. (At least the ones here)
    Now the valve stem is special! Rubber on the outside but has a plastic center tube for the sensor to sit on.

Programming the sensors to the car is a pain even at the dealer so your best bet would be to purchase 4 valve stems for your winter tires from mitsu and swap the already learned sensors to them when switching tires to keep the tire light off.

Well that is how it is for the states! Not sure if they have the same setup for other countries!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Not sure about this.

Morin has installed winter wheels & tires on his Mirage. Maybe ask him - - Thread: My winter wheel

EDIT: never mind! I just saw 3dplane's more quick reply.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanks 3dplane and MetroMPG,

In the Netherlands cars build from 2015 has them default by law. Not many garage are having equipment. This move is not so good outcome for local dealers and tireshops I think. There are so many different sensors how can they keep that up or we have to go to our dealer who is asking for tires 40% + on regular prices :-(

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Vehicles since 2008 have had to have TPMS here in the states. It's stupid - I have a $2 gauge that works just as well.

There are a few things that work depending on the type of system. If the Mirage has the type where it attaches to the valve stem ...

You can do the TPMS pipe method. Get some PVC pipe, glue on some ends, then drill 4 holes for the sensors and install the TPMS valvestems.

Or - go to Harbor Freight and get their cheapest pneumatic (tubeless) tire and wheel combo - it's only like $15. Then drill 3 holds and mount the TPMS sensors in that and inflate that to the recommended pressure that will keep the sensors off.

After that, just throw in the trunk and you should be good to go!