Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help car value ?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Help car value ?

Hello to all of you. I don't know if it's permitted but I would like your advice...

I'm thinking about selling my car. I looked online and at differents garages about the general car value and i don't know what to think about it.

So I have a mitsubishi mirage 2018 GT CVT (130k km) with remote starter.
    I also have brand new summer tires on mags and used winter tires on rims...
    I just got the distribution chain and water pump changed like a week ago. I also had the engine replaced at about 60k km.
    Front brake done like a month ago and rear brake done not even a year ago... Battery change 2 years ago...

So I'm saying all this because I was offer 6000$ and I feel like this is not enough ?

I would like to know what you all think about that.

Thanks in advance !!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Labbejenny View Post
    Hello to all of you. I don't know if it's permitted but I would like your advice...

I'm thinking about selling my car. I looked online and at differents garages about the general car value and i don't know what to think about it.

I just got the distribution chain and water pump changed like a week ago. I also had the engine replaced at about 60k km.
    Front brake done like a month ago and rear brake done not even a year ago... Battery change 2 years ago...

So I'm saying all this because I was offer 6000$ and I feel like this is not enough ?

Thanks in advance !!
    Personally I think that is kinda a low ball offer but then again it has been awhile since the last time I was looking for a used one online. Even 6k in USD I feel like is a little to low for that. With a few minutes of research, ES mirages in my area right now with similar miles are almost twice that much, let alone a GT. Not sure how the market is where you live but I do think it is kinda low. There are users these forums more knowledgeable about things like this then I am, so hopefully someone else can chime in about this too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 43.8 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.6 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Price is a little on the low end so it should sell fast.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    ...I also had the engine replaced at about 60k km (about 37,000 miles).
    Just curious why the engine was replaced at such low mileage?

I just got the distribution chain and water pump changed like a week ago.
    The timing chain?

Who offered you $6,000 for your car? Carmax? Vroom? A car dealer where you are trying to trade-in the car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-11-2023),inuvik (10-09-2023)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a low ball considering when gas prices rise eco cars also rise in price. Also its a GT, that's the highest trim level right? At 80k miles that still very new. People are desperate for cars right now so I think you should be able to get $8-9k minimum.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Thanks in advance !!
    6000 Canadian dollars or USD?
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hello, thansk to all of you for your answers!

So it was at the dealership actually and 6000 Canadian Dollars.

And the engine was changed because it just stopped working ���� I was in shocked tooo and yes it's probably called the timing belt... Don't know all the terms in English since I'm French Canadian. ��

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Labbejenny For This Useful Post:

BigMW (10-09-2023),Top_Fuel (10-09-2023)

Yikes, these cars can go over 500,000km and not need a timing chain replaced. I'm assuming you mean the alternator,water pump,ac belt(serpentine belt).

Unless your car is trashed or rusted out I wouldn't take $6000. No car dealer is going to give you market value for your car. If you trade it in on something else they might twist numbers around to make it look like you're getting a fair value but then just add on extra costs to the new car. https://www.kijiji.ca/b-cars-trucks/...?sort=priceAsc

Good luck with the sale!
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-11-2023 at 05:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No car dealer is going to give you market value for your car. If you trade it in on something else they might twist numbers around to make it look like you're getting a fair value but then just add on extra costs to the new car.
    Very accurate. I've had a few cars in my time. I've bought a few new ones from dealers. I have never in my life traded a car in to a dealer.

Why? Because they want to. They want to so bad. From day one of me ever talking to a dealer, the hair stood out on the back of my neck when I pulled, in and in the process of pulling the door handle to get out of my car, they're already asking me, "you trading this in?" And, "you gotta trade?" is a phrase that is probably spoken 1 million times a day at every car dealership. They make so much money with trade ins ... because they are stealing cars is what they're doing. So I refuse to ever trade a car in.

My MIL, in 2005, traded in a VERY NICE Ford Ranger. As I recall, it was a club cab, V6, and was a 5-speed manual. I can't remember for sure but I think it was a 2WD. It was very nice looking, ran perfectly fine, was clean and low miles. She traded it in on a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX, not the top of the line Odyssey. They gave her $900 for the Ranger, and she paid $42k for the Odyssey. One year later, I bought a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring (top of the line, 2005 was the first year for that generation and I never buy the first year). I paid $38k for the top of the line van, and sold our 2000 4Runner for I think it was about $11k.

Should could have got $3,500 for that Ranger pretty easy if she sold it privately. And overpaid on the Odyssey in my opinion by at least $6k. In my opinion, that dealer stole from her. But my MIL does those kind of deals ALL THE TIME. Which is why she is now broke as can be, lives in a single wide trailer (nothing wrong with living in a single wide trailer), doing so so she can have a few extra dollars per month. I'd help her. Have offered many times. But she just got through exploding on me a couple weeks ago so I'll just leave her alone. If she wants ANYTHING from me, now she'll have to ask, and ask convincingly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-13-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Very accurate. I've had a few cars in my time. I've bought a few new ones from dealers. I have never in my life traded a car in to a dealer.

Why? Because they want to. They want to so bad. From day one of me ever talking to a dealer, the hair stood out on the back of my neck when I pulled, in and in the process of pulling the door handle to get out of my car, they're already asking me, "you trading this in?" And, "you gotta trade?" is a phrase that is probably spoken 1 million times a day at every car dealership. They make so much money with trade ins ... because they are stealing cars is what they're doing. So I refuse to ever trade a car in.

My MIL, in 2005, traded in a VERY NICE Ford Ranger. As I recall, it was a club cab, V6, and was a 5-speed manual. I can't remember for sure but I think it was a 2WD. It was very nice looking, ran perfectly fine, was clean and low miles. She traded it in on a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX, not the top of the line Odyssey. They gave her $900 for the Ranger, and she paid $42k for the Odyssey. One year later, I bought a 2006 Honda Odyssey Touring (top of the line, 2005 was the first year for that generation and I never buy the first year). I paid $38k for the top of the line van, and sold our 2000 4Runner for I think it was about $11k.

Should could have got $3,500 for that Ranger pretty easy if she sold it privately. And overpaid on the Odyssey in my opinion by at least $6k. In my opinion, that dealer stole from her. But my MIL does those kind of deals ALL THE TIME. Which is why she is now broke as can be, lives in a single wide trailer (nothing wrong with living in a single wide trailer), doing so so she can have a few extra dollars per month. I'd help her. Have offered many times. But she just got through exploding on me a couple weeks ago so I'll just leave her alone. If she wants ANYTHING from me, now she'll have to ask, and ask convincingly.
    Yeah I know a bunch of people that did the same thing. One guy traded in a 2015 Dodge diesel a year or two back, was pretty excited about getting 40k for it on a trade in...A week later I found the truck on Kijiji listed for close to 60k lol I showed the guy the add and he was pissed! Was mad that the salesman wouldn't give him more for the trade cause they weren't gonna make much on it. He didn't want to sell it priveatly cause he's weird and didn't want people at his house....So that cost him an easy 10k.

A buddy trades vehicles in all the time. Gets one almost paid off then basically just gives it away to the dealer and finances another one for 7-8 years. Him and his wife both make over 100k/yr but don't own a single thing other than some horses,$1500 dogs, a rusty old cattle trailer and a $1500 atv. To each their own but I always laugh when they cry about their bills piling up. I spend money on stupid stuff all the time but don't borrow what I can't afford to pay back quickly and don't put myself into spots where I'd be bankrupt if things don't go my way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (10-13-2023)