Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire advice needed ASAP! (Hard to find replacement for OEM Enasave 165/65r14)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Tire advice needed ASAP! (Hard to find replacement for OEM Enasave 165/65r14)

Yesterday I was teaching a friend to drive stick in my Mirage, and she ended up hitting a curb; which of course got the sidewall of one of my tires.

I have contacted all 12 tire suppliers in my area; none of them had or were even able to order a 165/65 r14. My only option would be to drive 70 miles on the highway with my doughnut to my nearest mitsubishi dealer to purchase a tire for $111 + installation.

I was told I could switch all four of my tires to 170/70 r14 for the same price of one tire. I am considering this because it would be less of a hassle to continue purchasing this size.

Has anyone ever converted to this size? If so, did it mess with your speedometer?

Has anyone ever switched to a 15 rim?

Hi Stephanie -

Unfortunately, you're not the first, and won't be the last to have this problem. It's an uncommon tire size in the USA.

See thread: Don't get a flat tire!!!!

You can order the original tire on TireRack.com for $83 + shipping:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....01AS&tab=Sizes

Re: 15 inch. Outside of the U.S./Canada, both 14 and 15 inch wheels are available from the factory on the Mirage. (The green Mirage in the header of the forum has a 15 inch wheel). 15" tire size is: 175/55R 15 in Australia, for example.

Lots of people in North America have switched from 14 to 15 inch (or larger) size. EG: Morin put 15 inch Honda Civic wheels on his car.

If you go to a 15 inch tire, the tire shop will be able to recommend a size that preserves the correct diameter so it doesn't mess with your speed/odo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you! I called mitsubishi USA to complain that they don't have readily available tires. I'm hoping they can change the mirage tire sizes in the future. It's just so inconvenient.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Hi Stephanie -

Unfortunately, you're not the first, and won't be the last to have this problem. It's an uncommon tire size in the USA.

See thread: Don't get a flat tire!!!!

You can order the original tire on TireRack.com for $83 + shipping:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....01AS&tab=Sizes

Re: 15 inch. Outside of the U.S./Canada, both 14 and 15 inch wheels are available from the factory on the Mirage. (The green Mirage in the header of the forum has a 15 inch wheel). 15" tire size is: 175/55R 15 in Australia, for example.

Lots of people in North America have switched from 14 to 15 inch (or larger) size. EG: Morin put 15 inch Honda Civic wheels on his car.

If you go to a 15 inch tire, the tire shop will be able to recommend a size that preserves the correct diameter so it doesn't mess with your speed/odo.
    Also see thread "DONT TEACH SOMEONE TO DRIVE STICK WITH YOUR OWN CAR" lol...just kidding...

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    a wider tire will need lower profile, comparison:
    old: 165/65
    new: 175/55
    This size: 170/70 NOT DONE!! Will mess up your speedometer hugely.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks! I'm thinking of taking the rims and tires off of my MR2 spyder (summer car) And just putting them on my car for the time being.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    thanks! I'm thinking of taking the rims and tires off of my MR2 spyder (summer car) And just putting them on my car for the time being.
    You guys have winter down there ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Would a 170/70 work ok on the original steel wheels. Would under body clearance be a
    problem? The tire size is not a lot different.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderG View Post
    Would a 170/70 work ok on the original steel wheels. Would under body clearance be a
    problem? The tire size is not a lot different.

175/70/14 will work on the stock rims with no clearance issues. There are no 170 tires available.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

MR2 Spyder! Lucky you. What year?

What's the tire size on it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)