Thread: Strut tower bars - questions, possible fabrication.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Strut tower bars - questions, possible fabrication.

I was looking at nextgentuning.com at their sway bar for the mirage, which I hope to purchase soon.

But it got me to thinking about strut tower bars. Nextgentuning.com has those too for front and rear.

Does anyone know what these are made of? Just plain steel, instead of spring steel I assume? I run a cnc plate laser for a living and have access to all manner of really awesome metalworking tools and a nearly limitless supply of scrap metal. I know the strut bars from nextgentuning will be great. But I like to build things for myself as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-05-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have a set of UR strut bars. The retailer is Next Gen Tuning, however, the manufacturer is Ultra Racing.

As far as I am aware, the bars are made of mild steel. Definitely something that you can fabricate with ease, although, UR has an excellent reputation for build quality and durability.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You can make them out of anything. They're a brace, not a spring so you want it to be stiff. I'd go with mild steel or aluminum.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    I run a cnc plate laser for a living and have access to all manner of really awesome metalworking tools and a nearly limitless supply of scrap metal.
    Lucky you. I would definitely make my own with resources like that.

Side business! Make & sell bars to Mirage owners!

Please (pleaseplease) keep us updated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    You can make them out of anything. They're a brace, not a spring so you want it to be stiff. I'd go with mild steel or aluminum.
    I'd love to make them out of some aluminum, but I, myself, lack the skill to weld aluminum. I might see if someone else in the shop can assist me with that, because some aluminum tower braces would be pretty nice.

Can anyone with the NextGen rear sway bar tell me how that goes together? It looks like it sits under the springs in the rear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    There is a plate that sits under the springs, but the bar itself bolts to the bottom of the sprint perch.

Check out the install DIY for some pics:

DIY Ultra Racing Rear Sway Bar Installation
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    There is a plate that sits under the springs, but the bar itself bolts to the bottom of the sprint perch.

Check out the install DIY for some pics:

DIY Ultra Racing Rear Sway Bar Installation

Thats.... that's really simple. I'm half a mind to hit the junkyard and measure sway bars and fab up some spring perch mounts. Or even grab the torsion bar from an older toyota truck (The front suspension on those was torsion bars) and put "legs" on it, to attach to the spring perch.

Only problem with that is getting the spring rate right with a sway bar from another (Likely heavier) car. I don't want to have the little car oversteering in every corner. Paying $225 for something that I know will work in this case is probably worth it!