Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Manual tranny shift quality

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We had the rubber support for the shifting lever break . Had to hold it up from going through the floor and shift at same time until it was brought in for repair . That was a '87 Colt . Good times .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have zero complaints about the shifter. I love it. The Mirage is perfect for delivery. It has more ground clearance than many small cars, it gets fantastic delivery mileage (29-30 mpg) and it's small enough to fit ANYWHERE. I will warn you, though, you have to be VERY GOOD at using a clutch. It has a positive engagement point, almost as good as old cable clutch cars. This is great if you're good at shifting, but bad if you aren't. The only complaints I have about the M/T in general are that the spin-down from forward to reverse is too long, and that the clutch isn't beefy enough to back up a steep driveway easily. You'll never see that in normal driving, but if you deliver in it, you'll notice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lots of good comments in here. Thought I would come back and give an update. I ended up going for a used 2012 Elantra Touring wagon with a 5 speed. It cost the same as a Mirage DE but had lots more room, comfort, and power. The way I drive, I needed something that would accelerate fast when needed and do 80-90 with ease. Gas mileage has been surprisingly good at an average of 29-33 mpg. I still have never seen a car so reticent to shift while parked as that Mirage was but perhaps something was wrong with it. I'd love to see a little Mirage Turbo!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats on the car purchase! Forgive me but I have to snicker when I read 29-33mpg as "good" lol... My worst tank in this weather is still over the 40s
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm always in the mid-high 30s... But that's because of my wheels and I'm always at WOT and 3k-4k rpm shifting.

Since this is a tranny thread, I would like to express my wanting beefier shift links - or whatever makes the gear lever a little more firm. OR, better yet, get someone from honda/acura to do the transmission/shifter stuff because I loved the way the Intergras/Civics shifted.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I'm always in the mid-high 30s... But that's because of my wheels and I'm always at WOT and 3k-4k rpm shifting.

Since this is a tranny thread, I would like to express my wanting beefier shift links - or whatever makes the gear lever a little more firm. OR, better yet, get someone from honda/acura to do the transmission/shifter stuff because I loved the way the Intergras/Civics shifted.
    I'm with you. Here in Texas we *need* to drive at WOT just to merge most places. We can't afford to be that slow a**hole, because well, almost every other vehicle vs. the Mirage on the road in an impact would win haha. Sometimes I feel the synchro's in the shift lever not wanting to smoothly transition through the gears quickly.. which greatly reduces my merge time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a problem with it not going into 2ND and reverse. Wondering how to adjust cables.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mine is notchy going from 1st to 2nd unless you bring the rpms up and shift slow. It kind of clicks like a motorcycle when engaging the clutch on shifting sometimes. My clutch pedal has a lot more dead zone than what I'm used to before it engages. I've thought about adjusting it. Does anyone else's make that kind of motorcycle click between shift sound if that makes any sense? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dennisrshelby View Post
    I have a problem with it not going into 2ND and reverse. Wondering how to adjust cables.
    Clutch cable? Thread: HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

I don't know of anyone who has adjusted the shifter cables.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's my problem. Fixed the clutch and know how to adjust it but he shouldn't have changed anything in the tyranny. It's got to be the cables or something