Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual tranny shift quality

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Manual tranny shift quality

Hi, I'm interested in possibly getting a Mirage to use for my business and much prefer a manual transmission. I went down to one of the dealers and they had a stick shift in the showroom. I began shifting the car, with the clutch depressed, and was completely turned off with how poorly it changed gears. It had a difficult time engaging 3rd and the shifter sometimes felt/sounded like snapping plastics as it went through the gates. I was so disgusted with the shift feel and the fact that there were NO salesmen around to offer a test drive that I left. What I'm wondering is if this car was an anomaly? How do manual owners in here feel their cars shift? Are these cars cable or rod linkages (I know the clutch is a cable)?

I really want to like the Mirage as its perfect for my food delivery business. Right now I'm using a 97 Saturn SL with 211,500 so she is on her last legs and I'm getting scared depending on her (I do have a Fiat 500 turbo as back up but that's my toy car). But compared to my Saturn's well worn but solid shifting cable shifter, the Mirage's just felt very sloppy and didn't like going into gear. It was bad enough that it would ruin my driving enjoyment of the car. I'm hoping you guys in here can convince me that car was just screwed up and to give it another look. I was also real mad I missed the cyber Monday deal that one dealer had here ($9968 for a red DE manual, of course that doesn't include their $799 dealer fee but its still a good deal).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey there, Carfreak. Our mirages shift much easier when the engine is running. Take one for a test drive. They are a pile of fun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Carfreak09!

Shifting a brand new car stationary with the engine off will be hard to put in all (or any) gears!

I have a manual mirage and I have no complaints shifting during normal driving.

Seen people/reviewers complain about the shifter but I really don't know what they were comparing it to.(probably their automatic)

Like you,my old car was a manual with 230 000 miles on it (mazda protege) and if we want to talk about sloppy shifter...the pass.front seat had to be all the way back to clear the shifter for 5th gear shifting. Still it was totally shiftable for normal driving.

Don't give up till you can drive one to experience it for yourself!
    Last edited by 3dplane; 12-06-2014 at 12:48 AM. Reason: typo

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good to hear this car was a potential anomaly. I have always liked Mitsubishi and want to support/see them succeed. I've owned in the past a 93 Diamanté ES, 93 Expo LRV Sport, 02 Lancer OZ Rally Racing Edition, 03 Diamanté LS, and 04 Lancer Ralliart Sportback (just about the rarest production car ever).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carfreak09 For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (12-06-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Actually all the Mirages that I tested at the dealership and the one that I purchased have rough shifting, I absolutely despise it. But I don't think its much to complain about given the car's offerings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

No problems at all with the shift quality of the 2 manual Mirages I've driven. I quite liked it, actually.

And you're going to LOVE the clutch - it is super light, yet still with a decent friction point feel -- perfect for city/delivery driving. And it's cable-adjustable if you want to fine tune it to your own engagement height preference. There are a couple of members here using Mirages for delivery.

Also, if the dealer was offering a deal on cyber Monday, it's probably still "available". You might just have to work a little harder to get it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The manual in the Mirage has a positive engagement. I've driven Saturns with 5 speeds that shifted just as notchy. Only thing about the Mirage shifter is it's fairly long for such a small car... I'm betting I could make a shorter shifter if I tried. I just get leery of butchering a car with less than 2000 miles.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I find my shifter notchy. From 1 to 2 it more than clunks into gear if i shift it at anything faster than a grandmas pace...

tho i love everything else about the car! I also have 23,000km on it.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTransporter View Post
    I find my shifter notchy. From 1 to 2 it more than clunks into gear if i shift it at anything faster than a grandmas pace...

tho i love everything else about the car! I also have 23,000km on it.
    Exactly what mine does. Crunches bad into 2nd, doesn't matter if you are hardly moving or up near redline.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Add another vote for notchy feel. I baby mine and barely use any force on the shifter, and wait until it goes in. Engaging 2nd and 3rd seems to be the roughest, but 5th just slides right in like a hot knife through butter. Maybe it just needs more time in each gear to wear in. Replacing the gear oil with Redline 75-80 MTL seems to help, too. I also reccomend a magnetic drain plug to help the gear oil last longer. This is the one I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Oil...7df22e&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Cani Lupine; 04-05-2015 at 11:31 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cani Lupine For This Useful Post:

YiffyAki (04-05-2015)