Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Mirage - changes to manual gear ratios?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2021 Mirage - changes to manual gear ratios?

My wife drives the 17 manual and loves it she wished it had a taller 5th or 6th does anyone know if the ratios are going to be tweeked? My opinion ratio tweek possible 6th gear not so much. She always around 46 mpg mixed winter & 47-48 summer. Her issue is the 3200 rpm drone in 5th.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    My wife drives the 17 manual and loves it she wished it had a taller 5th or 6th does anyone know if the ratios are going to be tweeked? My opinion ratio tweek possible 6th gear not so much. She always around 46 mpg mixed winter & 47-48 summer. Her issue is the 3200 rpm drone in 5th.
    The UK is selling the updated Mirage. It may or may not be like what we get eventually. Their new version still has a 5-speed manual. The manual gear ratio numbers are easy to find on our U.S. website, but I don't see them on the U.K. site. I didn't look to hard, however.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    thanks bet they remain the same now that I'm thinking more about it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks bet they remain the same now that I'm thinking more about it
    I suspect the powertrain remains unchanged.

Given all the rumors that were floating around, I am glad the Mirage is remaining a Mirage. I would hate to see it evolved into something else. More powerful & expensive small cars already exist. The Mirage fills a niche that others are ignoring (with the exception of the Spark maybe).

Ironically, some of the nicer more expensive small cars are or will be disappearing. I hates to see cars like the Toyota Prius c and Honda Fit disappear. I'm thankful the Mirage is still sticking around for now at least.

I agree that the Mirage could be geared a little faster in 5th gear, but the high revving manual seems to compete well with the lower revving CVT models. I'm quite happy getting 40-50 mpg year round (under various driving conditions).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My wife drives the 17 manual and loves it she wished it had a taller 5th or 6th
    From what I can tell on here, all manual owners do, too. Myself included.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    From what I can tell on here, all manual owners do, too. Myself included.
    Good and bad with a closer ratio tranny. I could see the pluses to having a 6th gear for sure.. not sure I want one, after 131,000km's of driving my Mirage around all over the place.

I have driven my car at higher speeds in 4th gear, and the engine seems fine revving over 5000 rpm, I don't worry as much as I should. That said I mostly go into over drive 5th gear, and you buzz around the 3200 rpm mark. I can get over 40 mpg in the winter, and 50 plus in the summer, but I have no air so it's the lightest Mirage.

At idle you can't hear my 3 cylinder, and shakes from the 3 cylinder are sporadic really.. I think the motor will outlast the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if the Mirage can reasonably handle a taller 5th gear within the power capabilities of the motor. If you had to downshift at every slight hill on the interstate that wouldn't seem like an improvement to me.

I belong to a low-power motorcycle forum and folks are always talking about stretching out the shift points by using a smaller sprocket in the rear. It works great in lower speeds but actually reduces the top end speed because the motor can't push the bike as well as with the stock configuration.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I wonder if the Mirage can reasonably handle a taller 5th gear within the power capabilities of the motor.
    I have often thought the same thing. Does this car really have enough power to cruise at 60-65mph at 2000 RPMs? A CVT-equipped Mirage can do it, but A CVT can also increase the RPMs when necessary. I would bet that a really steep 5th gear might only be beneficial in returning better fuel economy when driving on a completely flat roadway. Maybe a 60mph cruise at 2500 in 5th gear would be a good compromise for the US market.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I wonder if the Mirage can reasonably handle a taller 5th gear within the power capabilities of the motor. If you had to downshift at every slight hill on the interstate that wouldn't seem like an improvement to me.

I belong to a low-power motorcycle forum and folks are always talking about stretching out the shift points by using a smaller sprocket in the rear. It works great in lower speeds but actually reduces the top end speed because the motor can't push the bike as well as with the stock configuration.
    I think it could handle a slightly taller 5th gear without issue, but I wouldn't go overboard with it.

A taller gear may mean dropping into 4th gear to pass someone or climbing a hill, but that's the purpose of different gears. I climb a hill every day going home, & I am in third by the time I reach the top. I don't think a taller 5th gear would change that in any way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    the change would be in having to shift more often - maybe much more often

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)