Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Manual tranny shift quality

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Reverse is absolutely terrible, I just got my '14 mirage and was unable to select reverse while the car was stopped in a near emergency. I put a cyclist in serious danger because I had pulled out into the bike lane to see around a corner, (lots of parked cars right up to the corner) and could not select reverse to back out and let him go in front of me, and he had to merge with heavy traffic. I was pulling it into reverse with BOTH HANDS and tried multiple times, even selecting another (not 5th) gear to make sure R wasn't locked out. I have only ever owned M/T cars and the degree to which Reverse doesn't work/isn't selectable in the Mirage is unacceptable for a car at ANY price.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you adjusted it, or had it looked at?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds like it was abused by previous owner. Probably a hack at driving a manual transmission.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Should be fine as far as adjustment, as the clutch engagement is stock-high, previous owner was hard on the car, lots of scratches inside and out and even some cigarette burns on interior which smells strongly of smoke, but wouldn't think that could have resulted from only 26,000mi

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The car needs to be on for the synchronizers to function properly. Drive and you'll see.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had the car not want to go into reverse quite a few times. It seems like sometimes I have to "rock" the car forward and then shift in to reverse, like the gears are not quite aligned right the way I am sitting. I got into the habit of shifting to 1-2 then R when backing out of a parking spot or something. It's worked 99% fine that way... getting out of a spot at least.

But you are right - when in a pinch and the need to hop into reverse in a quick fashion is needed, sometimes not being able to bump into R is a real hazard. I had a semi rounding a corner at an intersection and needed me to back up some to let him through... well the dang car didn't want to go into R. I had to move forward just a hair then bump into R, but he had to wait those extra few seconds for me to figure my crap out
    Last edited by ISP_guy; 04-28-2017 at 12:14 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ISP_guy View Post
    I've had the car not want to go into reverse quite a few times. It seems like sometimes I have to "rock" the car forward and then shift in to reverse, like the gears are not quite aligned right the way I am sitting. I got into the habit of shifting to 1-2 then R when backing out of a parking spot or something. It's worked 99% fine that way... getting out of a spot at least.

But you are right - when in a pinch and the need to hop into reverse in a quick fashion is needed, sometimes not being able to bump into R is a real hazard. I had a semi rounding a corner at an intersection and needed me to back up some to let him through... well the dang car didn't want to go into R. I had to move forward just a hair then bump into R, but he had to wait those extra few seconds for me to figure my crap out
    This is common on any car I've driven with a standard. And I've owned a bunch. If it doesn't slide into reverse just move forward a hair and it will hit reverse easy. Takes literally a sec.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    This is common on any car I've driven with a standard. And I've owned a bunch. If it doesn't slide into reverse just move forward a hair and it will hit reverse easy. Takes literally a sec.
    This is my first manual car so it kind of threw me off the first few times I drove it. Getting the habit down now

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    2nd then reverse for me, if needed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Usually getting it into reverse is totally problem-free with the engine running.

If at a rare occaision reverse doesn't want to go in, just put it in neutral and let the clutch go, then swiftly press the clutch again and simultaneously put it in reverse.