Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual tranny shift quality

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Add another vote for notchy feel. I baby mine and barely use any force on the shifter, and wait until it goes in. Engaging 2nd and 3rd seems to be the roughest, but 5th just slides right in like a hot knife through butter. Maybe it just needs more time in each gear to wear in. Replacing the gear oil with Redline 75-80 MTL seems to help, too. I also reccomend a magnetic drain plug to help the gear oil last longer. This is the one I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Oil...7df22e&vxp=mtr
    I've a question, though, in EG, my case I'm trying to get something I can smash around Laguna Seca...
    Does the tranny sound like it'd break or something? I'm really curious about this now. >w<

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ok so im not alone in that. Every other gear change is smooth.

How much redline 75w90 do i need?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Try double clutching.. it may be that the trans is unsynchronised to save on cost?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know that the VWs with cable shifted transmissions benefited from stronger brackets on the transmission housing. I have bounced off of a few shifts due to what I believe to be flexing in the cables or the brackets on the transmission. I have driven the car pretty hard because warranty and it is an absolute riot to drive spirited. I have a few things that I may try to improve shifting accuracy including metal bushings.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 38.6 mpg (US) ... 16.4 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.4 mpg (Imp)

I had zero problems with the shift quality of the two different manual Mirages I've driven. I found the shift action nicer than my '98 Metro (which isn't saying much) and my '07 Civic (which maybe is).

I wouldn't judge based on moving the lever in a parked car. Drive it.

Also: a couple of members have noted the clutch adjustment wasn't great... fortunately its a cable and easily fine tuned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Just changed my fluid to royal purple mtf. MUCH better shifting. Harshness into second is alot better.

Will test it out over the next week and get back to this

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheTransporter For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-06-2015),kerc (04-08-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It definitely seems to behave better after it warms up, though. It's nice and smooth on a warm day after it's up to temperature.

I used Royal Purple Syncromax in my last car with good results, but it's supposed to be a different viscosity than what our cars call for. Remember, it's 75w80, not the common 75w90, and the capacity is about 1.7 quarts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have driven many sticks...my mirage is probably one of the best/smoothest shifting I have experienced..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree, it's a little sticky when cold like some manuals but when warmed up it is smoother than most, also very crisp and super easy, this is the easiest stick shift I have ever driven, just wish drive by wire didn't change my throttle experience (had to learn and get used to delays)
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wish it was notchier... this thing falls into gear like a damn grain truck. LOL

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)