Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notable differences between the 2014 - 2015 Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Notable differences between the 2014 - 2015 Mirage

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share some information that was passed on to me today. I am fortunate to have a friend who is a mechanic at Mitsubishi in Montreal. Now I don't know if this applies to Mirages elsewhere, but in Canada the 2015 Mirage came with an ever so slightly different motor mount for 2015. Perhaps this applies for all 2015 models around the world. You can see the difference when comparing the two models side by side, as I got to today in their showroom. This isn't an update that would be very obvious to someone comparing models. In fact no one at the dealer noticed until today, when a mechanic stumbled upon this change (update) when he noticed there was a little less engine vibration when idling the 2015 models, (and they've had the 2015's for a few months now). As far as he is concerned from a quick visual, he believes these mounts to be interchangeable between 2014 - 2015. He promises to look into this further.

The dealership uses 2014 Mirages as courtesy cars for customers. I did get an opportunity to go for a spin in their 2014 model today, and yes I did feel a bit more vibration when stopped at a traffic light. Not enough that I would be bothered by it, however if any owner of a 2014 is interested they could always ask their local dealer about it. Perhaps it's news to them as well. Now to be fair I own a manual transmission and the dealer courtesy Mirage was a CVT transmission, so I did put the CVT into neutral while at a complete stop as to be as fair as possible in comparison to the manual.

The first picture is a 2014, while the bottom one is a 2015.

Name:  2014 c.jpg
Views: 9452
Size:  64.2 KB
    Name:  2015 mirage c.jpg
Views: 11692
Size:  54.4 KB

These are not pictures I took today at the dealership, but ones I found on the internet, however the comparison is the same.
    Hope you found this interesting, and I'll keep you updated on any new not so obvious finds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to motormontreal For This Useful Post:

CLARK (12-06-2014),Daox (01-12-2015),fifteenwindow (12-06-2014),Kineo (02-07-2016),MetroMPG (01-12-2015),RedRage (05-10-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is a Big difference between the stick shift model and the CVT model with a engine sound. Because when I got my 2014 model I test drove a stick shift Frist and the engine. Sounded funny
    So when I went to the dealership where I got mine I was determined to try the CVT And I loved it!!! And the Cvt there's a big difference. So is the 2015 smoother? Then the 2014?
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    THANK YOU, for this post I will ck my dealership. Keep us posted and updatesName:  CAM00087.jpg
Views: 5431
Size:  90.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi debburyl, when talking about smoother as in feeling the vibration coming from the motor, it is only noticeable when the car is stopped, such as idling. In this case there is no relation to which transmission is in the car. It appears to be a small redesign in the 2015 motor mounts being able to absorb more vibration, thus sending less vibration throughout the car. I felt no difference between the 2014 and the 2015 Mirage once the car was moving. Both would feel the same on the interstate. As for the engine sound, then I agree with you, when driving 60mph your engine with the CVT revs almost 1000rpm less than my manual transmission, which makes your cabin quieter than mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey,
    Just saw your post and wanted to offer my experience with both 2014 and 2015. I just purchased a 2015 to replace a 2014 and noticed the opposite effect, strangely enough. My 2014 seemed to hardly vibrate at all at a light, but the 2015 (same exact setup, cvt) vibrates after stopping at a light. Seems to not vibrate much for the first few seconds.
    However, I noticed the cvt is smoother in the 2015, no clunk (so far) at take off from slight roll (the '14 did this from time to time). Also, the 2015 handles bumps noticeably better.
    The 2015 also is slightly louder, kind of a 'throaty' gurgle, rumble, where the '14 was quieter.
    Really strange, but those are my observations so far. Think I'm up to 55 miles on it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-12-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi tomrad,
    I'm curious to know if there are any discrepancies between the American and Canadian version of the Mirage, things most of us wouldn't be aware of. I know you folks in the U.S have push button start, and fast key entry which as far as I know is not availible in Canada. Guessing it brings the price too high in Canada. However I have an appointment Thursday with my Mitsubishi dealer for an undercoating job, so i'll get a chance to ask my mechanic friend if he's discovered anything else between the 2014-2015. If so I'll be happy to relay any information I get to everyone. In regards to debburyl maybe he's on to something with the CVT transmission, though I can't quite see it, but I've been wrong before (just ask my wife) Just my opinion though may find your car a touch smoother after a few hundread miles. As an example I have about 550 miles (880 km) and shifting gears on my manual is getting much better.

p.s Congratulations on your new car
    Last edited by motormontreal; 12-07-2014 at 04:12 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like the battery's positive terminal cap has been changed as well. The little things...haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 45.8 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If one motor mount was changed, it's likely the others have been changed as well. Anyone got pics of those?
    As far as other small changes... ie battery pos cover, this likely follows trend of all products nowadays.. lessening quality/cheapening build with successive models..
    If changes were made in CVT programming I hope they offer upgrade/reflash for the 2014's
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Look at the Mass Airflow Sensor in those pictures... the 2014 looks like an open hole, the 2015 has wires. I speak of the protrusion in the airbox, on the forward side, immediately to the passenger side of the air intake hose that goes to the throttle body.

I have noticed that my 2015, while it does have body roll, does not have it to the degree shown when looking at reviews of the 2014. From the cabin there is no vibration unless you are really, really trying to feel it. It's smoother than my wife's 2006 Corolla.

I also note that my antenna is shorter than the 2014, and it's on the back of the roof.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    Look at the Mass Airflow Sensor in those pictures... the 2014 looks like an open hole, the 2015 has wires. I speak of the protrusion in the airbox, on the forward side, immediately to the passenger side of the air intake hose that goes to the throttle body.
    The first picture is without a mass air flow sensor. Some models outside of the US don't have one.

I've never had an issue with vibrations from my 2014. I've driven several 4-cylinder vehicles with worse vibrations.