Thread: Transponder Key blank

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Transponder Key blank

I've been trying to find a transponder key blank I can cut and program to my
    new 2015 Mirage. I've done this before on my 06 Chrysler and it worked fine.
    I find lots of entries on Ebay but none for the 14 or 15 Mirage. The newest
    entries I find is for 2010 cars. I wonder if these would work with my 15 model.
    They have numbers like MIT17A-PT. Does anyone have any info on this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Yes!!!! I'm glad it's nowhere available! Blank transponder key available everywhere would be disaster. That is exactly how my Fiesta got stolen in the first place!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The transponder key doesn't provide much added security anymore. It might have been a good idea several years ago
    but now it's too easy to get a clone made of the key. It's kind of like the RFID credit cards. Turned out to be
    not such a good idea... The trouble with the transponder keys is that the vehicle owner must pay a much higher
    price to get an extra key.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderG View Post
    The transponder key doesn't provide much added security anymore. It might have been a good idea several years ago
    but now it's too easy to get a clone made of the key. It's kind of like the RFID credit cards. Turned out to be
    not such a good idea... The trouble with the transponder keys is that the vehicle owner must pay a much higher
    price to get an extra key.

:roll eyes: Too easy? Yeah, let me just walk down to my local cloned key store.

Modern electronic car keys are significantly more secure than the old keys. Unless you have the key programed for the vehicle, you aren't going anywhere.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    :roll eyes: Too easy? Yeah, let me just walk down to my local cloned key store.

Modern electronic car keys are significantly more secure than the old keys. Unless you have the key programed for the vehicle, you aren't going anywhere.
    Problem is, everything electronic can be copied, hell even the most secure computer network can be breached by a teenager!
    We're too old and naive to think that electronic are secure! We bought cars with remote instead of physical keys because it's ease of use, not because it's secure! Admit it, I feel more secure wirh physical key cars and eventually 3rd party alarm than a 'secure' factory remote keys

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Problem is, everything electronic can be copied, hell even the most secure computer network can be breached by a teenager!
    We're too old and naive to think that electronic are secure! We bought cars with remote instead of physical keys because it's ease of use, not because it's secure! Admit it, I feel more secure wirh physical key cars and eventually 3rd party alarm than a 'secure' factory remote keys

Sounds like you've been brainwashed by mainstream media. Yes, secure computer networks can be breached by a teenager. There's probably less than 50 teenagers in the world who could do it though. 99% of teenagers only know how to update their Facebook status and snap a "selfie" when it comes to computers.

Every hardware store in the world can copy a physical key. Older cars with a physical key can be started with just a screwdriver! But on the other hand, there might be one guy in your city who can bypass your electronic key. And nobody's going to be stealing your electronic-keyed car with just a screwdriver.

I'm 23 years old by the way. Not old and naive, just naive.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    What is easier: investing thousands of dollars to intercept the rolling code that your transponder produces, then using this data to create a clone key. Or I spend 1/2 an hour to make a slide hammer to pop the lock and ignition barrel, and 30 seconds to defeat whatever alarm system that is cost effective enough to fit to a sub $10k car. You decide.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 40.0 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Wait till ur car got stolen and found it without any damage done to the key or ignition. I wish it would never happen to anyone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just get a trunk monkey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)