Thread: Just curious - do these cars have starter grind protection?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Just curious - do these cars have starter grind protection?

Drove a KIA and it had it, kind of neat. I know a lot of cars have this now, prevents engaging starter bendix when engine is turning. I remember some cars had it in the 80's, you had to turn the key back off, then on to restart. Does the Mitsubishi have it, does anyone know? I need to locate a service manual I guess, or schematic.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can say with absolute certainty yes, they do.
    I have been having starting issues with mine and have to hold key in crank pos well after engine starts. The starter disengaged and stops cranking on it's own with no grinding.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

tomrad (04-10-2015)

Starting issues, hmmm?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I noticed when its below 10 degrees F I can't use my fast key instantly or the starter has to turn the engine over for almost 7 seconds or so before it fires. If I click the start button without holding the clutch and let the gauges come to life, give it about 10 seconds then try starting it does a lot better, the automatic start button is not perfect though and I think the starter gear drags a little before coming off the flywheel, 100K warranty to cover me if something does happen!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On the models with push button start you just tap the start button, and the computer will spin the starter for as long as needed to fire up the engine.

Also, No starting issues here. Even in temperatures below 0F.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

how about standard key start (not pushbutton)?

Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    On the models with push button start you just tap the start button, and the computer will spin the starter for as long as needed to fire up the engine.
    Also, No starting issues here. Even in temperatures below 0F.

What I was wondering is, if the engine were running, will the starter engage (and grind the flywheel)? Not like the trouble with the recall (misalignment). If I recall, some VW's in the 80's had it, if the car didn't start you had to turn the key off then back to start before it would engage the starter.

Seems to me it would be a good feature to eliminate possible starter or flywheel damage. And easy to build in, I would think. Maybe these cars do have it, I am not sure though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I can say with absolute certainty yes, they do.
    I have been having starting issues with mine and have to hold key in crank pos well after engine starts. The starter disengaged and stops cranking on it's own with no grinding.
    So if the engine is running, you can't engage the starter?
    Thanks.
    Any new developments with your car? Last I read, it was at the dealership. Sounded like you have a good dealer. Hope all goes well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Once we had a sudden drop in temperature of about 30 degrees and mine started very slowly (push button), like when the battery is too low. I guess that was the problem because I had been driving less than 2 miles for some days with around 15 Fahrenheit.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)