Thread: Crunching sound/feel in accelerator (CVT)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Crunching sound/feel in accelerator (CVT)

As the title says, I experience a crunching sound/feel in accelerator within the first 30 seconds of the ride, or sometimes after I have accelerated off a complete stop.

I think it's more prominent during cold starts. It happens every time I drive my CVT Mirage (ES Model) (19,000KM's driven).

Could this be an issue with the stability control? I also have to get my starter motor replaced, so I was wondering if this could be fixed at the same time.

I had this checked out a few times at the Mitsubishi dealership but the sound wasn't as noticeable usual. They said there was nothing wrong, but this issue still persists.

Any help/advice would be great! Thank you

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Could it be ABS self test? I've noticed that sensation before in some cars after first starting off -- a mild chattery/crunchy sensation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup. It's the self check. Some vehicles vibrate the pedal, others have a loud clunk.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to M-88 For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (05-01-2016)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I was 99.99% sure it was the self check for ABS, but it's quite loud and very noticeable through the accelerator so I am kind of worried it's something a little bit more severe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I discovered this issue just this morning driving to work. It also did the same on the way home from work. It started without a problem, but after several stops, it began to make this crunch/bending/grinding sound that became somewhat noticeable as I take off from a dead stop, or else from a near-dead stop while rolling to pick up speed. Can't tell if it keeps going during the ride, but it is bothersome.

This isn't the CVT having an issue, is it? I have 500 miles on the car. This is disappointing. Any advice would be appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty joe View Post
    I discovered this issue just this morning driving to work. It also did the same on the way home from work. It started without a problem, but after several stops, it began to make this crunch/bending/grinding sound that became somewhat noticeable as I take off from a dead stop, or else from a near-dead stop while rolling to pick up speed. Can't tell if it keeps going during the ride, but it is bothersome.

This isn't the CVT having an issue, is it? I have 500 miles on the car. This is disappointing. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hmmm, mine definitely doesn't do that so maybe a trip to the dealer might be warranted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)