Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling a/c compressor on defrost

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Disabling a/c compressor on defrost

I know it helps defrost even in the winter but I rather it not come on at all, the digital climate controls allow you to manually select defrost and turn off the a/c mode but it still kicks in, I feel the power loss and hear the fan come on when the engine is still cold.

Has anybody else done this? I was thinking about unplugging a fuse or something, no additional wiring. I know its good to cycle the compressor to keep the oil inside of it circulating during the winter but I don't want it on every day and would like to be able to use my automatic controls.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Set the heater to the "floor" position?

I didn't like the AC staying on when I had the "AUTO" selected, but I noticed if I hit the AC button, the compressor stops, but the climate control is still automatic.

I know some other vehicle types you can disable it fairly easily, while preserving the functionality of the AC on/off button.

EG: http://www.nissancubelife.com/forum/...1-8s-cube.html

Not sure if that exact approach would work in the Mirage or not. Also, you'll probably need a wiring diagram from the factory service manual to find out which wire it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes when I set the heat to the floor or vents the a/c compressor does not kick on, it only does when I select Defrost, even in manual mode it kicks on the compressor, sometimes for 5-10 seconds every minute (really annoying). I will look into the wiring soon but for now I am going to search for the fuse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Personalizing air cond. Switch.
    owners manual 5-24
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

amaidemon (01-09-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    There is an electrical connector on the A/C compressor. Unplug that and it will no longer turn on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Personalizing air cond. Switch.
    owners manual 5-24
    I just read it and like I previously stated there is no over ride.

"NOTE
    *When the defogger switch is pressed the air conditioning will run automatically, even if the system is set to "disabled automatic air conditioning control", in order to prevent windows from fogging up"

In other words you can turn off the a/c for automatic mode for all situations except when trying to defog the windshield (which is what I primarily use in the winter, windshield/foot setting 75 degrees. If I set it in automatic mode it will default to this setting and turn the fan up as the engine warms up (really cool), but it turns on the a/c compressor a lot, even in manual mode or with the a/c disabled from the controls.

The easiest way I have found to disable the a/c is to remove the F18 fuse from the under hood fuse box next to the battery. It's a 10A mini fuse, I put it in the empty F17 slot next to it (its for the CVT)

My a/c light still comes on in the climate control but no matter what temp, setting, defrost, auto/manual, the a/c compressor and cooling fan do not constantly cycle, the windshield doesn't fog up as well. I will be putting the fuse back in a couple of weeks to run the compressor (good to keep oil cycled and rotate it).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is there a pressure sensor on the reservoir canister? Usually pulling that will stop the AC from coming on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    Is there a pressure sensor on the reservoir canister? Usually pulling that will stop the AC from coming on.

Yes pulling a low or high pressure sensor pug will disable it, as well as unplugging the compressor clutch connection but I felt the safest way is to leave everything connected and remove the fuse.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Mine only cycles on defrost only, defrost plus floor it's not running the compressor.