Thread: Uneven stance at standstill (battery & gas tank location?)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Uneven stance at standstill (battery & gas tank location?)

As far as left-hand drive Mirage units are concerned, does anyone know where the fuel tank is actually located in the chassis? Some owners have noticed that their Mirages have a slightly uneven stance i.e. canted to the left, when parked on a level surface, leading them to think that it might be a suspension issue.

My theory is that the fuel tank and the battery are located on the left side, which would naturally place more weight there and make it look like the car is leaning a little to the left at a standstill. This was certainly the case with my previous Mitsu. Any thoughts?

Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

Interesting! I haven't heard this mentioned yet.

I didn't notice it on the Mirage loaner I had ... and I usually spot stuff like that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    A schematic drawing of the new Mirage might hold the answer. Sometimes I do notice my Mirage sedan leaning ever-so-slightly to its port side.
    Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a VERY similar issue with a different vehicle I owned a few years ago. It had a slight but measureable height difference from one side to the other side.

Come to find out, it was the springs on one side that had settled sooner than the other side. Carrying a very heavy load once evened things out. I have not noticed a difference on my Mirage, but I carry heavy loads quit often.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Fuel tank is directly in front of the rear axle, in the middle. That would give it balance. Sounds like an issue with suspension

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    in my constant fiddling around the rear coils of my G4, I measured the uneven drop of the rear left driver's side. it's about an inch or 25mm.

I had some lifters fabricated at the rear coz my lowering springs looks lower on the rears compared to the front. I left the 1 inch lifter on my rear left coil and it's now even on all sides.

Will drive my car on the highway and get it up to speed when I get back from vacation to see if there's any issue with this.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Measure the height at the end of the rocker panel (under the door part of the unibody) nearest all 4 wheels. The end with the lowest height (of 4) is most likely the spring that is weak. If it's the one nearest the drivers position then measure it with the driver in the car. All measurements need to be on a flat surface.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    A schematic drawing of the new Mirage might hold the answer. Sometimes I do notice my Mirage sedan leaning ever-so-slightly to its port side.
    If you drive on left hand of the road the car should be leveled or even tilting to the right (center of the road) to compensate for road crown. This is usually done by having more negative camber on lower side or using different length sway bar links. With sway bar links on Mirage I think they can be adjusted with spacers/washers.

Also when you do the height check do it with driver in, it may be set up such way to compensate for driver weight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just noticed this thread now but my car is absolutely lower on the drivers side. Probably by about a half inch. I was thinking that it was because it is just me that drives in the car and all of the pressure on the suspension is usually on the left side when getting off freeway exits and so on. I am hoping that coilovers will correct it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)