Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need wheels for snow tires!

So those General Altimax Artic tires are actual snow tires (as opposed to all-season)? Who did your studding service?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidricardo86 View Post
    So those General Altimax Artic tires are actual snow tires (as opposed to all-season)? Who did your studding service?
    These artic's are NOT all season they are a winter tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Right above the "set of 4:$208.00" you can click "studding $15.00" (it's 15 each tire). Tire rack delivered these tires to my door 2 days after I placed my order.
    Last edited by alex16; 02-07-2015 at 09:35 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Judging by that video and the missing option to add studs it appears studded tires are illegal in my home state of Illinois. On tirerack, it has you enter your zip code so I'm assuming this is how they determine to offer or not offer studding service. Still a good price for a set of Winter/Snow tires!

Are studs illegal due to road damage? Some roads here in Chicago are so bad that they cause more harm to vehicles than the other way around.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah some states outlaw studs, we can have them November 15 till April 1 or 15. They do cause more damage to the roads, but not as much as snow chains.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  96.2 KB

And there they are!

I wanted to put on the rear hybrid wheels with the non winter tires but I found that the older one had some dry rot and decided against putting it on, if I get some decent over time next week I'll buy a second set of generals

Views: 468
Size:  94.4 KB

I also lubricated my front brakes. I'll start a new thread for that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's best to have snow tires on all four wheels, even on 2wd cars. Having snows up front and all-seasons on the rear can make braking on icy surfaces especially dangerous.

I had Firestone Winterforce tires on my Aspire, but unfortunately couldn't keep them, since I had them on the car when I traded them in. They were on steelies with a 54mm center bore (which the Aspire had), but the Mirage has a 56mm center bore, so those wouldn't have fit. Looking back, I could have swapped the OEM Mirage wheels onto the Aspire then looked for new wheels to put the snow tires on, but I didn't think of that at the time. :/
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 02-08-2015 at 12:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did some test rounds on a sheet of ice and it slides out but it is so difficult to keep it sideways, the stability control takes over and puts the car back straight.

I drive a Jeep Cherokee that I can tell if the 4wd is engaged by moving my foot to the right to feel the drives shaft moving, danger is my middle name. The mix matched all season/winter tires are not ideal but better than 4 all season tires for me personally, I am used to oversteer. I will eventually get the rear tires when more money comes available, for now this does help the ice handling and the oversteer is predictable but hard to act upon because the car straightens itself out first.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
Views: 555
Size:  96.2 KB

And there they are!

I wanted to put on the rear hybrid wheels with the non winter tires but I found that the older one had some dry rot and decided against putting it on, if I get some decent over time next week I'll buy a second set of generals

Views: 468
Size:  94.4 KB

I also lubricated my front brakes. I'll start a new thread for that.
    Can tell you're from the rust belt haha!

Gotta take them apart when the car is new ... otherwise the rotor isn't going to come off when it's ready for a brake job!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup! I hope my mirage is still in really good condition after 7 years of road salt abuse because it's going to get armored at that time!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If anyone else is looking for cheap wheels for snows and can't find a craigslist bargain, Tire Rack has steelies for 45 bucks a piece... brand new... can't beat that. Buy the tires with it and everything shows up at your door mounted and balanced and ready to bolt on...

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)