Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else getting excessive tire wear? (Dunlop Enasave 165/65r14)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Stock PSI, didnt had the time to look for it in 8000 km's while it's summer, lol.

Spirited driving most of the time, I think that highish speed corners are the worst for the tire wear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Good information! I didn't think about the width of the rim. I'm back to the 175/65s, I saw a few other drivers here that have tried that size and said it worked.

Thanks!
    My old tires are standard 165/65/r14 Yokohama BluEarth <-- great tires
    My current is a 175/55/R15 Toyo Proxes Ne <-- no problems on high speed cornering, great grip. Runs about 15k-20k with 85%-90% left.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem with 175/65 R14s is that they are supposed to have a 5-6" wide rim and the Mirage rim is 4.5" wide. I talked to a tire guy and he said it's not a good idea to mess with the rim size and tire size because you can stress out the bearings and (suspension? not sure). Also he said small cars always wear out tires fast, one reason is the diameter is small so for a given amount of miles the tires do a lot more revolutions. Anyway I think I'm going to just go with stock tires either from tirerack.com or the dealer. Also I'm going to try running a lower psi from 38 to 35.

My head hurts from all the math I did today.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've got the 5'' wide honda civic hybrid wheels I'll be trying out eventually with snow tires, I have noticed wear on my stock tires with only 2k miles driven. I have a spare set of P185-65R14's that will fit 5'' wide wheels as well I might use for the Mirage this summer if I don't get studded snow tires soon on the civic hybrid wheels. Two of the hybrid wheels have good P175-65R14s so I'll just use those for the rear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem with 175/65 R14s is that they are supposed to have a 5-6" wide rim and the Mirage rim is 4.5" wide. I talked to a tire guy and he said it's not a good idea to mess with the rim size and tire size because you can stress out the bearings and (suspension? not sure). Also he said small cars always wear out tires fast, one reason is the diameter is small so for a given amount of miles the tires do a lot more revolutions. Anyway I think I'm going to just go with stock tires either from tirerack.com or the dealer. Also I'm going to try running a lower psi from 38 to 35.

My head hurts from all the math I did today.

Larger diameter wheels along with wider tires can put increased wear on wheel bearings and shocks/struts. However, it takes a large increase in the overall rotating mass to effect the longevity of those parts, like something in the neighborhood of a 10 pound increase. The difference between 165/65/14 tires and 175/65/14 tires is only 2 pounds.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I have a new wider rims for the 15" tires. Like I said, it doesn't affect much on fuel consumption and tire wear. Am so surprised to hear the amount you guys driven.
    Advice: consider using Michelin energy saver+ <-- best tire I've used so far, have it on my Galant. 80.000 KM driven not even 50% wear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if wider tires and rims voids the warranty?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if wider tires and rims voids the warranty?

Due to the Magnuson Moss Act, a manufacture can not void an entire warranty based off of aftermarket parts. A manufacture can void an individual part warranty if the aftermarket part was due to the factory part failure.

For example;

If you raise the suspension and install 22" rims and tires, then you have a wheel bearing go out, the manufacture and refuse to repair the wheel bearing under warranty because the aftermarket part(the huge wheels) caused the factory part (the wheel bearing) to fail.

However, if you install an aftermarket muffler and your windshield wipers stop working, the manufacture can not void the windshield wiper warranty due to the muffler.

The manufacture does have to prove that the aftermarket part did cause the failure of the stock part. But as long as you don't get carried away and don't stray too far from the stock size, you will be fine. This car was designed with a soft suspension for countries with VERY poor roads. Because of this, they had to pick a wheel bearing that would hold up on those bad roads without having them go out every few thousand miles in order to keep warranty claims low. Just don't go too crazy, don't put road racing slicks on it, and you will be fine.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Also I'm going to try running a lower psi from 38 to 35.
    Generally, increasing tire pressure will give you longer tread life. Steel belted radial tires won't really balloon out in the tread because the steel holds it flat. Unless you had issues with your first set of tires and uneven wear in the center, I'd suggest a higher pressure.

I run the tires on my cars at 50 psi, and I haven't ever had issues with the centers wearing out.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

In fact, the Bridgestone RE92 on the 1st gen. Honda Insight was famous for wearing out the sides before the center. (Note: not a sports car!) Even the guys running pressures well above 50 PSI saw this.

Center wear does happen to some tires/car combinations, but I've never seen it with mine. Best to take an initial measurement and keep an eye on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)