Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else getting excessive tire wear? (Dunlop Enasave 165/65r14)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys just wanted to butt in and post my findings.

Finally had to change the tires. I had 36500 and the fronts maybe had another 3-5k in them the right rear was wearing out like crap. I went for the Michellin Defender 175/65/14. I just could not find myself pay for a just average tire for the same price I got the Defenders out the door. 500 OTD with alignment and warranty.

The tires look beefy and fit great in the wheels. They do seems tag bigger but the sidewalls on the Defenders are way thicker. The mileage dropped to what really says on the sticker. I always got around 46-50, but never was that when you really did the math(divide miles/gals pumped in) Why? The speedometer is set 3% faster it seems. Now I get 44-48 highway and 39-43 street, more in tune with real world and my math.

One thing I was told from the alignment is that the right tire is wearing out since the frame is bet and they can only get it to lowest factory "within spec" but no more. Do any of you have this issue? I never had an accident or hit something besider normal things.

Oh, and I need to change the brakes within two weeks since I am at around 10-13 percent, but the rotors are shot too. I must say, the car is really great in consumables.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to remusrm For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (02-23-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post

Finally had to change the tires. I had 36500 and the fronts maybe had another 3-5k in them the right rear was wearing out like crap. I went for the Michellin Defender 175/65/14. I just could not find myself pay for a just average tire for the same price I got the Defenders out the door. 500 OTD with alignment and warranty.

The tires look beefy and fit great in the wheels. They do seems tag bigger but the sidewalls on the Defenders are way thicker. The mileage dropped to what really says on the sticker. I always got around 46-50, but never was that when you really did the math(divide miles/gals pumped in) Why? The speedometer is set 3% faster it seems. Now I get 44-48 highway and 39-43 street, more in tune with real world and my math.

One thing I was told from the alignment is that the right tire is wearing out since the frame is bet and they can only get it to lowest factory "within spec" but no more. Do any of you have this issue? I never had an accident or hit something besider normal things.

Oh, and I need to change the brakes within two weeks since I am at around 10-13 percent, but the rotors are shot too. I must say, the car is really great in consumables.
    My right rear is off by .06 also WTF is that???

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ednevell For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (02-23-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post

I'm just hoping that the "guts" of the car is good quality, but it's just the "disposable" things that are cheap. Hopefully when you replace that stuff it will last longer than the originals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I'm just hoping that the "guts" of the car is good quality, but it's just the "disposable" things that are cheap. Hopefully when you replace that stuff it will last longer than the originals.
    update: i notice the mpg is more in tune with reality. before I used to get 50 but when did the math based on miles divided by gas pumped is correct. Also the speedometer show exact mph. Is the car advanced to show more mpg and mph? not sure. Another thing is that now with this tires the car handle so much better. No uncontrolled lean. The enosave were crap.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to remusrm For This Useful Post:

Madison320 (02-24-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    maybe its luck of the draw?
    I run these tires at the max sidewall pressure i think its 44psi. i have 22k miles on them and they look like they have another 25k in them. i do not push the car by any stretch of the imagination i stay under 1.8k 99% of the time and i coast to red lights and stop sings. I would be interested in replacing them eventually with 175/65/14 michelin defenders, those are theoretically supposed to get you 80k miles.

I see that others have done 175 width tires any updates as to how those fit/wear?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My general altimax Artics have about 400 miles on them with no signs of wear and I'm able to go through corners a little faster, I didn't notice a major change in mpg either, for me at least I feel the 175s are a better choice with being cheaper and giving the mirage better handling characteristics, mpg increases can always be made else where to help regain the lost mpg.

Has anybody squeezed 175-65s on stock wheels?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    My general altimax Artics have about 400 miles on them with no signs of wear and I'm able to go through corners a little faster, I didn't notice a major change in mpg either, for me at least I feel the 175s are a better choice with being cheaper and giving the mirage better handling characteristics, mpg increases can always be made else where to help regain the lost mpg.

looks like quite a few have, they say there is no fitment problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post

I am having the defender in my car in 175/65/14

They are great. The mpg is about 4 less but i think is more in time with real world. Since like I stated before. If I did the math but dividing the miles travelled by gallons pumped it would be dead in. The speedo is off in my opinion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a good tool to compare tire sizes.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.2 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well a 4mpg loss for the 175s is a bit too much if that's with calculating the speedometer being off. I could live with 2mpg loss but 4 might be enough money saved over 20k miles for a replacement set of enasaves.. Time for some math!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)