Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 3A92 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage / Space Star engine info (specs, specifications)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't mind the lack of Auto Start/Stop. I can do that myself.

---

arollinstone - so far I've only seen one set of gear ratios published (here). I'm seriously hoping they don't "dumb down" the ratios for Canada/US to cater to drivers here who aren't willing/capable of downshifting from top gear when more power is needed. I want my tall top gear!
    Darin have you noted on the tester that you can't really do the start/stop? At least on my car, it has to be at a complete stop before I can use the button to stop the engine. Same for you?

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

The base car in Canada has a normal ignition key -- just the upper trim car has the button.

So start/stop was an option, and I used it. (Engine-off coasting too, at times.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Still, the CVT gets better fuel consumption ratings (marginally better) than the manual in the EU. I think I know why. The CVT lets the engine rev at insanely low revs as soon as possible. 100 km/h is 2000 revs. 50 km/h is 1100 revs. Apart from that, the CVT has lock up and will also at other loads and speeds choose maximum torque Always (unless sports mode or low gears are selected).

Torque / HP graph added to post #1. (Thanks, alex16)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

dyno graph

Added another dyno graph to post #1.

It's from a Philippine spec Mirage.

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Added another dyno graph to post #1.

It's from a Philippine spec Mirage.
    Is this power/torque at the wheels or flywheel? I assume wheels as that screenshot has a 'Header and Unichip' run ID. But if that's a flywheel result then it seems rather low.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

That's at the wheels, I'm sure.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Detailed and accurate performance figures for both the 1.0 and 1.2 liter engine can be found on the austrian homepage:

Space Star MY 2015

I will update all driving performance diagrams for the three different motor versions.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

Teasmade (05-19-2015)

Thanks
    I think they are controlling lift with the rocker system, but also cam timing through the much older system of advancing and retarding the cam timing.

Being able to do that INDEPENDENTLY means they can control the valve lift, which eliminates the need for throttling the air flow by restricting valve lift aka not more throttle plate restriction under certain conditions.

AND they can atkinsonize the engine by shifting overlap from before and after bdc-tdc, thus variable compression. Open the intake later in the induction stroke to reduce compression if necessary.

Low lift valves mean high swirl-turbulence aka potential stratification-lean burn- stuff we haven't even imagined.

Now I know why this motor can do what it does, like propell a vehicle 55 miles in 1 hour on one gallon of cheap pump gas.

regards
    mech
    Last edited by deleted user; 05-19-2015 at 06:26 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    Detailed and accurate performance figures for both the 1.0 and 1.2 liter engine can be found on the austrian homepage:

Space Star MY 2015

I will update all driving performance diagrams for the three different motor versions.
    I've been wondering what the torque curve on the 1.2 Euro-spec cars looks like - and now I know! Thanks for that!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)