Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 3A92 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage / Space Star engine info (specs, specifications)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have to say that the 3 cylinder in these cars is a great little engine. I had a 2010 Kia Soul ! before this and we also have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS and this car has exactly half the horsepower of our Elantra but it does not feel like it. For the gas milage the Mirage gets I will gladly take a few more seconds getting to 60mph lol. After the the 2017 Mirage has been out a year and they bring out the 2018 model I will be snagging one in GT Trim loaded for sure! I currently have 5,500 mikes on my Mirage ES with Navi and have had no issues at all. I average about 40mpg in town and about 48 on highway, where Ivlive we have a lot of hills and mountains on I-68.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Added 25Plus' dyno chart comparison of the 3A90 and 3A92.

More info here:
    Driving performance diagrams

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Added 25Plus' dyno chart comparison of the 3A90 and 3A92.

More info here:
    Driving performance diagrams

As shown in the graph the 3 cylinder engine has most torque at 3000 rpms, but would it be efficient to stay on 3000 rpms at a steady speed?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fuel efficiency has a lot more to do with engine load than it does with rpm. You want your engine to be well loaded to get good fuel economy. You have less horsepower at lower rpms, so a higher gear almost always gives you better fuel economy because it increases engine load.

However, if you need 90kw of power because you're going up a hill, 3000 rpm is perfect.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Fuel efficiency has a lot more to do with engine load than it does with rpm. You want your engine to be well loaded to get good fuel economy. You have less horsepower at lower rpms, so a higher gear almost always gives you better fuel economy because it increases engine load.

However, if you need 90kw of power because you're going up a hill, 3000 rpm is perfect.
    but hp = kw = fuel used, or fuel that can be burned in order to achieve 90 kw. torque is the engines abillity to rotate the shaft right? so hp is a number of how fast the engine can rotate the shaft.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I finally got to tear one of these 3a92's apart
    rod length 130mm yielding a rod ration of 1.44 to 1
    I dont have much hope for this little engine anymore...
    On another note I'll have a cylinder head sitting around for a couple weeks would anybody happen to have access to a flow bench? South Central Pennsylvania willing to drive a few tanks of fuel to find out how well the head breaths...
    If anybody wants me to take some measurements let me know I'm curious to see what you need to know.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wilbur For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pictures would be much appreciated wilbur! Why are you taking apart a 3A92?

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    I dont have much hope for this little engine anymore...
    In what sense?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pictures would be much appreciated wilbur! Why are you taking apart a 3A92?
    I've got a lot of pictures, have to go buy an sd card adapter to get them on to the computer to put up here, anything you'd like to see in particular? It was a failed head gasket at 14k miles (think it was ran while very low on coolant cant prove it but theres collision damage and the wrong color coolant in it when I got it) for it to go through warranty Mitsubishi techline asked that the whole motor be torn down to check for other damage. Didn't find any damage to any bearings but the head was warped beyond repair at .015 and the limit to machine is .010 found damage to the block as well severe scuffing to cylinder #3 and a damaged piston and variations up to .008 to the deck limit again is .010 but the cylinders can not be bored so Mitsubishi will be sending me a long block in the next couple weeks.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wilbur For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-07-2016),Eggman (05-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In the sense of more power without a turbo... if the rod ratio were closer to a 1.7 to 1 and the head could breath fairly well i would be looking into sending the cam out for a regrind. This may still be an option if the head breathes well enough, I'd like to see high 200 cfm my old stock honda head flowed high 270's at .500 So hopefully somebody can hook me up with a flow bench.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wilbur For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-12-2016)