Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3A92 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage / Space Star engine info (specs, specifications)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    We could use more images of engines and/or engine bays. If any of you guys can snap a picture it would be appreciated.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It seems to have most of the bells and whistles. The start/stop would certainly be great to have here. Sadly, I doubt they'll bring it here due to the EPA (US fuel economy) test not accounting for cars being stopped sitting at a light or stop sign. Start/stop systems show zero benefit on this test cycle despite real world benefits of around 10% in city driving.

Another thing I noted was that it doens't have is direct injection. Most of the new engines have this, but both of the Mirage engines have multipoint fuel injection. I was reading in some Australian (I think) article where they claimed that they dropped the idea of direct injection due to the cost of adding it. There was also the issue with fuel quality in developing countries that makes direct injection a bit more finicky.
    I'm almost glad they don't have it because a few companies are having a new problem as a result of direct injection - carbon choking the intake valves. Audi has a huge problem and some cars are having problems in just 10,000 miles.

Take a look:
    http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blownb310 For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (11-01-2013),deleted user (05-16-2015)

Interesting, Mike. Confirmed the suspicion that not having fuel washing past the intake valve on its way to the cylinder creates a situation where deposits can start forming on the valve neck/stem.

I've yet to drive a direct injection engine (that I know of).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yes a mate of mine who is an aircraft mechenic and also a diesel mechenic warned me about big problems with the new direct injection engines with buildup on the back of the intake valves about a year ago now. When i found out Mitsu stayed away from direct injection and went with long term proven technology i was very happy about that.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    ok so direct injection is not the same as multi point injection ;-)
    mmm what new cars have this direct injection? the prius c ? yaris?

edit
    wiki

Direct fuel injection costs more than indirect injection systems: the injectors are exposed to more heat and pressure, so more costly materials and higher-precision electronic management systems are required. However, the entire intake is dry, making this a very clean system.
    Last edited by spacester; 10-08-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There are a bunch of vehicles using direct injection now. Until the above article was posted I hadn't heard of any issues with it. The Yaris has been using it for years now. Oddly enough, the Prius C doesn't use direct injection, nor does any of the Prius line.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    maybe thats because of the atkinson cycle?

i geuss the feul savings would be maybe 2 %?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its possible, but I don't see off hand why it would be an issue.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    i think i know one reason wy they do not use direct injection or GDI

Can I E10 fuel in my Mitsubishi?
    The fuel E10 (ethanol 10% / 90% petrol), can be used for all models with Mitsubishi gasoline engine except for models with a GDI engine models or with a carburetor.

and E10 is more and more used.
    in germany you can only get E10 or premium

11. The Following User Says Thank You to spacester For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I added a few images to the first post courtsey of ShiroMirage's introduction thread. Thanks ShiroMirage!