Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will factory battery last > 4 years?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Will factory battery last > 4 years?

I bought My car new 3 years ago (but it sat for 1 year on Dealership lot)

So just about 4 years and when I asked them to test battery at AutoZone they said it needs replacing and something about 78%

So I assume they are telling me that the battery has 22% degraded in its ablility to hold the charge? I was a bit skeptical since the car shows no symptoms of a battery on its dying legs.

I have a small amp that is 100 RMS as part of my upgraded sound system and dont know how much of a strain the aftermarket touch screen stereo and amp put on the battery.

When I put a multimeter on the battery (myself at home) it registered 12.5 and when I put it under load it goes as low as 9.8 (as the car cranks up)

I have never put water in the battery so Im going to do that tomorrow

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I bought mine in June 2015 and it was Manufactured in Feb 2015 so the answer is yes. But it’s mild here climate wise with rare freezing weather and never gets hotter than 80 so I might be a exception not the rule.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Battery life can be all over, there's no real answer to your question. Sometimes they'll last two years, sometimes 4, sometime 7. USUALLY, a battery will last 2-3 years... but, that doesn't mean yours won't last 5.

Some determining factors: How many times have you left the lights on (or the door open, or whatever) and run the battery down? How many times have you had to start the car in VERY cold weather? Does the car typically start very easily, or do you have to crank it a lot to start it? Has the battery remained sealed enough that the water in it hasn't evaporated and exposed the lead plates?

In your case, we know you probably haven't run the battery flat often, if ever. You live in Miami, so no cold starts. It's a Mirage, so it starts super easy with very little strain on the battery. It IS possible that some water has evaporated out of it. If the caps on the top of the battery are removable, you can pull them off and look.

Aside from maybe checking the water in the battery if it's not a sealed battery, and keeping them clean and checking for leaks, I don't worry about batteries much. The battery is good until it isn't.

My words of wisdom are: When you know your battery is getting old, be in tune with it. You know how your car normally starts. The VERY FIRST TIME that it gives you a sluggish start, go replace the battery. I promise you that after that first sluggish start, that battery is going to fail and leave you stranded anywhere between the next start, and about 3 days. When the battery gives you the hint... take the hint!
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine last 4 1/2 year before having to charge it for about 20 minutes to start after a steep ambient temperature drop. It had failed to start the engine a few times in the last year already under similar circumstances.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I bought My car new 3 years ago (but it sat for 1 year on Dealership lot)

So just about 4 years and when I asked them to test battery at AutoZone they said it needs replacing and something about 78%

So I assume they are telling me that the battery has 22% degraded in its ablility to hold the charge? I was a bit skeptical since the car shows no symptoms of a battery on its dying legs.
    My advice - Carry jumper cables. When the time comes to use them, drive right to AutoZone & replace your battery. The stock battery is pretty lame (only 356 CCA according the manual). Most replacement batteries are going to be much better than that.

It's a small motor with lightweight oil. It doesn't take much to turn it over even in the cold. If you sense the battery is dying, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it sooner rather than later. Most any battery is going to be an upgrade.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts

An ode to batteries

Ah, yes - the lead-acid battery.

In this use, it is referred to as an SLI battery (Starting, Lighting and Ignition).

Not to be confused with any Metallica song.

Technology 160 years old this year.

The foundation of electrical energy storage which allows much of the rest of our technology to function.

Lead plates, bathed in an acid which helps produce the electrical potential, and which also attacks the lead plates.

What causes a lead-acid battery to degrade?

Temperature affects it's performance.

Cold temperature reduces it's ability to deliver current.

The plates resist the acid according to temperature (hotter temperatures 'softens' the lead.) Lead falls off (precipitates) and collects at the bottom of the cell, until enough accumulates at the bottom to short out the cell. At which point, the battery is markedly reduced in capacity.

Also, maintaining the electrical charge helps it's longevity. Repeated deep discharge cycles greatly reduce lifespan.

Vehicle needs are supplied by the battery to start, and by the alternator when running.

78% capacity is little to worry about when most batteries are sized to deliver more than twice what the vehicle needs, even when aged.

Slow days at the Autozone can lead to bad advice.

Become in tune with your Mirage, young pilot - listen as it starts.

Make a note of how it starts in nice weather, and how it starts in cold weather, and with headlights on, or off.

When slow starts in cold temperatures have you worried, head to Wal-Mart.

Lead-acid batteries are a commodity the world over.

Buying a fresh battery may be more important than saving money on a cheap battery.

Worry not about a 'need' for more capacity. Like Subway - think fresh.

Look for a date code usually found embedded on the top of the case - a 'born on' date.

Retailers that move lots of batteries will have what you need and a warranty to back it up.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-05-2019 at 08:19 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (02-08-2021),fc321 (02-05-2019),MetroMPG (04-16-2019),ThunderG (02-04-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Mine has lasted since late 2014. Fires the car right up even in frigid weather, and I start my car hundreds of times a day. The battery in my pickup truck lasted NINE AND A HALF years before I had to replace it last month. It just couldn't make it to ten years this winter!

Climate is important here. As has been mentioned, heat kills batteries. So what AutoZone is telling you may not be too far off base, considering your locale.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-05-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Mine is also around 78% after almost five years, nothing to worry about!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I'm surprised no one has already asked this question, why were you getting your battery tested in the first place? Also, are you saying they tested it four years ago and you have been driving on it fine ever since then?

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    The VERY FIRST TIME that it gives you a sluggish start, go replace the battery. I promise you that after that first sluggish start, that battery is going to fail and leave you stranded anywhere between the next start, and about 3 days. When the battery gives you the hint... take the hint!
    This is really good advice, hence me asking why were you getting it tested in the first place? What I always do is keep a battery in a vehicle until I notice problems starting. When a vehicle struggles to start due to a weak battery (usually during winter) I make it a point to go and get the battery tested that very same day. If it fails the test (and always has in these circumstances) I replace the battery right then and there.

It isn't worth it limping around on a a questionable battery when you know it will need to be replaced anyway.

If you were getting your battery tested because you suspected it weak due to a slow start, I would replace it immediately after failing the AutoZone test.

Incidentally, the AutoZone battery warranty isn't as good as it used to be. I used to get all my batteries there. Now I get them at Wal-Mart.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some determining factors: How many times have you left the lights on (or the door open, or whatever) and run the battery down? Never

How many times have you had to start the car in VERY cold weather? Never, coldest was 51

Does the car typically start very easily, or do you have to crank it a lot to start it? Starts easily

Has the battery remained sealed enough that the water in it hasn't evaporated and exposed the lead plates? I will look today and advise but since I have never put water in it before it probably has indeed evaporated pretty low\

I'm surprised no one has already asked this question, why were you getting your battery tested in the first place? I saw a YouTube video about testing battery with a multimeter and the battery tests just at the very bottom of the range that is considered acceptable. In same YouTube video they said take car to AutoZone to confirm and employee at autozone advised the battery has failed their test (I think 80% is the cutoff on their computer that says time to replace so I am at 78% but I feel the 80% number maybe too conservative and that maybe 75% is the true number to fear)

Also, are you saying they tested it four years ago and you have been driving on it fine ever since then? No, this is the first time I have ever tested it.

Yes i price shopped and Walmart has the best battery gold 3 year for 99$, 74$ for silver 2 year and $48 for value 1 year

Both AutoZone and Advance AutoParts want $160 - 20% coupon is $130 for the gold battery. These figures are all for Group 35

Update: all the lead plates had enough water (all where covered). I added a very small amount using a medicine dropper

Last edited by fc321; 02-04-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)