Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: 3A92 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage / Space Star engine info (specs, specifications)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Administrator Daox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Germantown, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,077
    Thanks
    1,167
    Thanked 646 Times in 408 Posts

    3A92 1.2L 3-cylinder Mirage / Space Star engine info (specs, specifications)

    Lets start with the 3A92's specs:

    Displacement: 1.2L (1193 CC)
    Cylinders: 3
    Valves: 12
    Maximum Output: 55 kW (74 HP / 75 PS) @ 6000 rpm
    Maximum Torque: 100 Nm (74 lb·ft) @ 4000 rpm
    Bore: 75mm
    Stroke: 90mm
    Compression Ratio: 10.5:1
    Fuel Delivery: multi point fuel injection
    Fuel type: Unleaded regular gasoline, gasohol E10, E20
    Valve Technology: DOHC, MIVEC (Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic Control) - see video: New MIVEC continuously variable valve control mechanism
    Fuel Economy: see Fuel economy ratings by country

    For info on the 3A90 (1.0 L) engine see here: 3A90 Engine Information

    Images:

    Attachment 2228



    Above image: Alex16



    3A92 (red) and 3A90 (orange) comparison.



    Name:  _1-1-mirage-dyno.jpg
Views: 7873
Size:  93.2 KB
    Above Dyno image from EcoModder.com - Note this is a Philippine spec Mirage and it may not share the same factory tune as all other countries.

    Image thanks to Nimmic.




    Image thanks to ShiroMirage:


    Image thanks to ShiroMirage:


    Image thanks to ShiroMirage:


    Name:  3a92_04.jpg
Views: 3045
Size:  57.1 KB

    Name:  3a92_03.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  54.4 KB

    Name:  3a92_02.jpg
Views: 2834
Size:  52.3 KB

    Name:  3a92_01.jpg
Views: 2791
Size:  50.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Daox; 02-15-2013 at 03:02 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 49.0 mpg (US) ... 20.8 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.8 mpg (Imp)


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

    LurgidBee (05-29-2015)

  3. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Fond du Lac Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A Metro owners dream !

  4. #3
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    5,746
    Thanks
    1,675
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 891 Posts
    arollinstone - you're right on the money there.

    I think this car is essentially a modern-day Metro: similar size, weight & fuel economy to the last generation Metro, but with a more advanced engine (eg. MIVEC variable valve control) giving more power, safety & options.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Fond du Lac Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    arollinstone - you're right on the money there.

    I think this car is essentially a modern-day Metro: similar size, weight & fuel economy to the last generation Metro, but with more power, safety & options.
    MetroMPG, You were the one that turned me into a Metro fanatic since way back when. I've got extra parts up the ying and yang.

    I can routinely attain 70 + mpgs in any metro I touch. Another 10, maybe even 5 years I'll have one of these to mess with.

    Could you imagine the mpgs we'd get with the Valve timing Electronic Control, multipoint fuel injection or direct injection. I hope

    they come up with more transmission gear ratios and such so we can mess with that too.

  6. #5
    Administrator Daox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Germantown, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,077
    Thanks
    1,167
    Thanked 646 Times in 408 Posts
    It seems to have most of the bells and whistles. The start/stop would certainly be great to have here. Sadly, I doubt they'll bring it here due to the EPA (US fuel economy) test not accounting for cars being stopped sitting at a light or stop sign. Start/stop systems show zero benefit on this test cycle despite real world benefits of around 10% in city driving.

    Another thing I noted was that it doens't have is direct injection. Most of the new engines have this, but both of the Mirage engines have multipoint fuel injection. I was reading in some Australian (I think) article where they claimed that they dropped the idea of direct injection due to the cost of adding it. There was also the issue with fuel quality in developing countries that makes direct injection a bit more finicky.
    Last edited by Daox; 01-21-2013 at 05:59 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 49.0 mpg (US) ... 20.8 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.8 mpg (Imp)


  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    10
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It seems to have most of the bells and whistles. The start/stop would certainly be great to have here. Sadly, I doubt they'll bring it here due to the EPA (US fuel economy) test not accounting for cars being stopped sitting at a light or stop sign. Start/stop systems show zero benefit on this test cycle despite real world benefits of around 10% in city driving.

    Another thing I noted was that it doens't have is direct injection. Most of the new engines have this, but both of the Mirage engines have multipoint fuel injection. I was reading in some Australian (I think) article where they claimed that they dropped the idea of direct injection due to the cost of adding it. There was also the issue with fuel quality in developing countries that makes direct injection a bit more finicky.
    I'm almost glad they don't have it because a few companies are having a new problem as a result of direct injection - carbon choking the intake valves. Audi has a huge problem and some cars are having problems in just 10,000 miles.

    Take a look:
    http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blownb310 For This Useful Post:

    Canoehead (11-01-2013),deleted user (05-16-2015)

  9. #7
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    5,746
    Thanks
    1,675
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 891 Posts
    I don't mind the lack of Auto Start/Stop. I can do that myself.

    ---

    arollinstone - so far I've only seen one set of gear ratios published (here). I'm seriously hoping they don't "dumb down" the ratios for Canada/US to cater to drivers here who aren't willing/capable of downshifting from top gear when more power is needed. I want my tall top gear!

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Fond du Lac Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't mind the lack of Auto Start/Stop. I can do that myself.

    ---

    arollinstone - so far I've only seen one set of gear ratios published (here). I'm seriously hoping they don't "dumb down" the ratios for Canada/US to cater to drivers here who aren't willing/capable of downshifting from top gear when more power is needed. I want my tall top gear!
    I feel ya MetroMPG, I followed in your foot steps and got spoiled by the 3.52s. 2400 rpms at 60 mph but I don't go that fast.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Paducah, KY
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    287
    Thanks
    35
    Thanked 71 Times in 45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't mind the lack of Auto Start/Stop. I can do that myself.

    ---

    arollinstone - so far I've only seen one set of gear ratios published (here). I'm seriously hoping they don't "dumb down" the ratios for Canada/US to cater to drivers here who aren't willing/capable of downshifting from top gear when more power is needed. I want my tall top gear!
    Darin have you noted on the tester that you can't really do the start/stop? At least on my car, it has to be at a complete stop before I can use the button to stop the engine. Same for you?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)


  12. #10
    Senior Member Alpha_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 89 Times in 56 Posts
    The 5th gear ratio can still be taller, actually. 4th and 5th are close enough together that I treat the gearbox as a 4-speed (1-2-3-5) in light to moderate traffic. Top gear cruising at 100kph (62mph) results in the engine spinning at 3k RPM. From what I hear from other owners, CVT Mirages cruise at that same speed with the engine at 2k RPM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •