Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the slowest car you've ever owned and ever driven!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex16 View Post
    That 81 Jetta diesel is beautiful.
    Thanks. Sold it to a buddy of mine. It is still sitting out in front of his house, but I don't think he drives it. I go past it pretty regularly.

The pic shows it with 'Tarantula' alloys, but I had steel wheels with NOS factory trim rings and dog-dish caps on the car when I sold it to him. Looks like the rings and caps were stolen, or he just took them off. They looked SIIIICK.

I think those rings/caps were a Jetta-only item, as the Jetta used wider wheels than the Rabbit.

Last edited by Cobrajet; 07-04-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...sion_standards

Sorry for my late response. Each EU member has their own rules and taxes for the moment. It is becoming increasingly expensive to own a diesel car in Germany.

Thx for the winter tire info from earlier.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I guess the mirage is technically but, anything big and automatic always seems slower to me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Volvo

Funny thing is, I am a speed freak. I race motorcycles (on the track) I have had more moving violations (i.e., speeding tickets, but never a reckless charge) than I care to admit - it's a lot more than all your digits (seriously. - though those days are pretty far behind me now); just a week ago I was doing 130+ in my buddy's MINI... (so maybe not totally behind me... good thing my only drive is the Mirage, lol) blah, blah, blah.
    BUT, my slowest car ever (considerably slower than the Mirage) was also my favorite, I miss that tank.
    It was awesome.
    My 1984 Volvo Diesel (normally aspirated straight 6 (by VW))(240 series, sedan) it was mated to a 4 speed with an electronic (planetary gear) OD. I was trounced by family members' n.a. Jetta & Rabbit diesels (we loved these things, lol). The Volvo couldn't get out of its own way...
    I actually got out of my first 3 cylinder getting into the Volvo. I had a Chevy Sprint Turbo; that was essentially a turbo-ed 2 door Mirage (sans our 20+ years of safety technology!) and it scooted, fun, light, little car, kinda the antithesis of the Volvo tank.
    Yep, I miss that Volvo, it could have only been better if it had been a wagon.
    :,-(
    Last edited by Minihaha; 08-29-2015 at 03:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Had to be 1980 Spitfire. They were never fast and all smog equipment made them even slower.

My Prius C is marginally slower than manual DE in 0 to 60

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I have a new slowest. I had to drive a honda insight back to another dealership and boy oh boy did I hate that thing. Was unbearbly slow. To the point is became a hazard when switching lanes.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    Well I have a new slowest. I had to drive a honda insight back to another dealership and boy oh boy did I hate that thing. Was unbearbly slow. To the point is became a hazard when switching lanes.

That sounds like my old Geo Metro that had a really badly burnt exhaust valve so it was only running on 2 cylinders. I dynoed it for fun and it put down 35 horsepower to the front wheels!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clessy View Post
    That's not entirely true btw. Turn off eco mode and put the gear to S (Sport). I'm driving Honda Insight 2011 now and I'm just about 1 second behind Toyota Prius when we're pulling off 0-100 km/hour, this while Prius is equipped with 1.8L and Insight only 1.35L

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    That's not entirely true btw. Turn off eco mode and put the gear to S (Sport). I'm driving Honda Insight 2011 now and I'm just about 1 second behind Toyota Prius when we're pulling off 0-100 km/hour, this while Prius is equipped with 1.8L and Insight only 1.35L
    I'll admite I didnt know much about the car. I hated that it turned off at stops and then had to turn on. Maybe if for some reason we have another one at a mitsu lot i'll check it out but man in whatever mode it was stuck in it was awful.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    My current car would be the slowest I've owned, but I bought the mirage for a reason, I like my licence, I have a bit of a lead foot in powerful cars...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)