Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Brakes rotors and pads removal and lubrication

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Yikes I hadn't noticed that both sides of the caliper don't just slide over the rotor. That's a stupendously stupid design. I've never seen that before. Normally replacing front disc pads is like a 10 minute job. Takes more time to jack the vehicle up and remove the tire than it does to replace the pads.
    Indeed - In fact every other Mitsubishi caliper design I've seen looks no different - Surely you just swing the caliper up out of the way and then you can pry the inboard pad out of its cradle? If you look at the 5th picture in the thread it doesn't look like there'd be anything in the way, even with the disc in place?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well I still haven't gotten the rotor off, but I did manage to get the old inboard pad out and I can get the new one in. I just have no idea if it is seated properly. How do I know if it is good enough to reassemble?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imamirage View Post
    Well I still haven't gotten the rotor off, but I did manage to get the old inboard pad out and I can get the new one in. I just have no idea if it is seated properly. How do I know if it is good enough to reassemble?
    If it's all the way down into the caliper then you should be fine. When you bolt the outer side of the caliper back on the tops of the pads should be at the same height on the rotor. If you want, bolt it back on, press on the brakes and rotate the rotor by hand. Visually check the pads again on the rotor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    We used to just pop off one bolt and rotate the caliper off the rotor and switch pads, but you HAVE to check both bolts or you get a stuck bolt and the pads wear cockeyed and your pedal travel increases. While you don't have to take the rotor off I always cut them to make sure they were perfect for the new pads. Even turned new rotors after finding some that were warped from new due to improper storage and other things.

The luxuries of owning a brake lathe.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    We used to just pop off one bolt and rotate the caliper off the rotor and switch pads, but you HAVE to check both bolts or you get a stuck bolt and the pads wear cockeyed and your pedal travel increases. While you don't have to take the rotor off I always cut them to make sure they were perfect for the new pads. Even turned new rotors after finding some that were warped from new due to improper storage and other things.

The luxuries of owning a brake lathe.

regards
    mech

For sure! The last set of brakes I did was last year on a Mazda. One 14mm bolt, the other was a pin. Rotate the caliper assembly up, remove the pads, put the new pads in, spread the caliper to fit back over the rotor, tighten the one bolt up and done. Literally a two minute job. Clearly one example here of Mitsubishi NOT simplifying a normal maintenance item which is unusual. Usually Mitsubishi is very good about simplifying regular wear and tear maintenance items.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New pads are on. Ended up putting the inboards in from the back without removing the rotors (passenger side would not budge either). Once I gave up trying to do that step, the job was easy. Test drive had good, responsive braking with no more grinding noise! Outer pads were pretty worn inners not as bad, but obviously it was time for new.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    New pads are on. Ended up putting the inboards in from the back without removing the rotors (passenger side would not budge either). Once I gave up trying to do that step, the job was easy. Test drive had good, responsive braking with no more grinding noise! Outer pads were pretty worn inners not as bad, but obviously it was time for new.
    Glad to hear you got it done. Was removing the inside pad difficult or did it pop right out and the new pad slide right in? Just curious how it went.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They went in pretty easily from the back actually, like that is the way they are supposed to. I won't try to pull the rotors next time, unless they need replacing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They went in pretty easily from the back actually, like that is the way they are supposed to. I won't try to pull the rotors next time, unless they need replacing.
    Good to know, when it comes time to do mine I won't bother to pull the rotor.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    this should be included in the DIY very helpful!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)