Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any aftermarket struts?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Any aftermarket struts?

I've noticed that my front struts are starting to not like the lowering springs, and are looking like they need to be replaced. As the springs voided the suspension warranty, getting them replaced by the dealer isn't really an option, and just replacing them with OE parts will only lead to another failure in a short time, so that leaves me with looking for a suitable aftermarket dampers. Does anyone know of any decent ones out there, perhaps if KYB has any? I checked around a bit but couldn't come up with any.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Switch back to OEM springs then go to dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thought about that, but they won't be able to really notice that they're worn with the OEM springs. The front end still just bounces once and settles when you press on it, but you can feel the struts not suppressing the spring motion when driving over road undulations.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have looked, and I can't find anyone. I think however, with the fact that Tein offers coilovers... and that your lowering springs are Tein as well, that it would make sense that they would offer better dampeners as well... Contact them and see what they say perhaps?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sell the springs and go buy some coilovers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Coilovers are definitely out of my price range, otherwise I'd consider them.

Update: Called up the dealership, OEM struts are $148 each, special order. I called up a couple other dealerships to see if they have them, and no one has them in stock, so I'd have to make two separate trips to have them installed under warranty, once for them to look it over and decide if the struts are bad (which I know they are), and the second trip to have the work done, so it would take 2-3 weeks for everything. :/
    Last edited by Cani Lupine; 02-12-2015 at 07:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ebay's listings show front struts for the 1999 Space Star fit the 2014 as well. I wonder if that's actually true. If so, that would open up the door for some performance applications.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The space star is bound to be heavier than the mirage which would make its shocks+struts better than ours. Please let us know if it does, in fact, fit. I'm dying to change out the suspension. Still saving for that tein coilovers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Emails to Koni, Bilstein, and KYB all came back with no plans for aftermarket support.

However, I think the cause of the failure would be from using vise grips on the strut shaft, leaving marks in it which caused the seal to leak. I bit the bullet and bought a cordless impact wrench today since one was on sale at Sears. After the sale and employee discount, I walked out paying $85 and change for a $140 tool.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like we need to send more emails

Hey I've been meaning to ask how many miles on your mirage and how many on the aftermarket springs?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)