Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Service engine Scare!!!!!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Service engine Scare!!!!!!!!

I had a Big Scare Today! I pulled in front of a store to let my wife out. And while waiting for her i shut the car off in Drive. When I went to Restart it I put it in Park and the car jumped a little bit and then the service Engine light came on and the car acted like it didn't what to move for about a min or so. So I made a appointment at the Dealer to take it in. Just before I took it in the light went out. The computer needed to reset it self. The dealer said to always put it in park before you shut it off. So it was a computer clitch

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you shut it down in Drive on purpose?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ignition on, put it in park, then tried to start it?

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, to save gas

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's what I should of done. Put it in park Then shut it off. That way I don't confuse the computer
    hello from bluejellybean

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You should always put any automatic in "PARK" when you go to turn the car off... that is why it's called "PARK"

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have shut my car off several times in neutral by mistake..
    (When I use the hand/park brake I set it while in neutral then let my foot off the brake pedal to allow the car to settle/move before I put it in park thereby alleviating stress on the park pin). Anyway, I have several times now inadvertently turned car off while still in neutral. I don't notice until I try to remove the key and it won't come out. So I put it in park, remove the key and life moves on. I have never had issues because of this. Car starts and drives normally every time.
    I find it odd there would be an issue shutting it down in drive when there is a stop/start option for the Mirage. Would the engine not shut down and restart in drive with this option?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    I have shut my car off several times in neutral by mistake..
    (When I use the hand/park brake I set it while in neutral then let my foot off the brake pedal to allow the car to settle/move before I put it in park thereby alleviating stress on the park pin). Anyway, I have several times now inadvertently turned car off while still in neutral. I don't notice until I try to remove the key and it won't come out. So I put it in park, remove the key and life moves on. I have never had issues because of this. Car starts and drives normally every time.
    I find it odd there would be an issue shutting it down in drive when there is a stop/start option for the Mirage. Would the engine not shut down and restart in drive with this option?
    I would imagine it's more of the issue of shutting the car off while in drive for a couple of reasons. 1: You can't start a vehicle in drive due to unintended acceleration issues. 2: Shutting the engine off while in drive with the CVT interrupts the normal hydraulic pump operation of the transmission and the clutch packs in the transmission are engaged. I'm sure that the transmission probably has to reset itself to a startable condition and a interrupt is sent to the ecu of the car until the transmission basically "reboots".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

debburyl (07-29-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Inuvik,,,,, thank you you said it as it is. I wasn't thinking when I did it . I just shut it off Real Quick. Won't Do That Again!! The point of the Post is So No one else does that! It's a simply mistake anyone can make.
    hello from bluejellybean

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Neutral would have been fine for the restart as long as the car did not roll into something.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

debburyl (07-29-2015)