Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impressions, my 2014 vs 2015 loaner Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Impressions, my 2014 vs 2015 loaner Mirage

Okay, my 2014 Mirage is in dealer's hands with starting issues (Thread: runs great just don't like to start). I have a brand new 2015 Mirage as a loaner.

First impressions...
    car seems to have less engine noise, even with accellerator mashed. I will check for sound dampening to verify.
    Engine feels a wee bit smoother at idle and revving from idle with noteable absence of "buzz". Maybe due to new motor mount?
    Glove box in this one rattles : (
    Cvt seems to run a couple hundred rpm higher than mine at comparable speeds. Also missing is the long laggy shift
    around 80 km/h that mine has. hmmmmm... (another question for the dealer.)
    Yes, the antenna has moved to the rear and it's a stubby type. reception is fine.

Note also that the 2015 does not have the highest package that mine has... it's missing leather wrap steering wheel/shifter, auto climate, alloy wheels, body color door handles, height adjust driver seat, heated seats, cruise control. It does have very well fitting deep floor mats with mitsu logo though and I will be gettin' me a set asap.

"the cvt sucks without cruise" you have to really concentrate on keeping a constant speed.

more to come as well as pics of noteables...

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 02-15-2015 at 02:06 AM. Reason: additions
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-16-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post

"the cvt sucks without cruise" you have to really concentrate on keeping a constant speed.
    The manual is the same way. Have to REALLY pay attention to the speed. Car wants to run 75 mph (~120 KPH) all the time.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I spent some time looking at a 2015 yesterday at a local auto show. I was able to compare it to the Fit, Fiesta, Note pretty closely. My next vehicle is probably going to be one of those 4.

Comparing them all side by side, I really like the Mirage better than any of them!

The Fit, Note, Mirage are all big inside for their exterior size. The Fit and Note are the biggest in side. Fiesta being the smallest (as in, I can't fit in the back seat at all, barely can get in the front seats).

Mechanically, I want to avoid direct injection - So the Fit and Note are out (nissan claims to have them have a direct/port injection system). Fiesta has a timing belt. In my book that's an automatic disqualification. Fits also have a reputation of not starting in the cold from the undersized battery.

The Note and Fit ... wayyyyyyyy too tight under the hood to do anything. Fiesta is cramped but possible. Mirage ... has a lot of space. I could even change the serp belt! Huge plus!

We all know who the winner is in the gas mileage.

The 2015 ES model seemed to have the hood insulation. I don't recall that on 2014 MY Mirages. The motor mounts looked a bit different (drivers side), but I couldn't find the additional one. The shifter also seemed a bit more firm than on the 2014 MY Mirage. As in, I couldn't wiggle it around in gear.

I am going to try to find a used one in a few years. If I can find one with 30 or 40K miles on it, I'll replace the clutch on it and use it for a high mileage daily driver.
    Last edited by M-88; 02-16-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    it's missing ... height adjust driver seat
    That's one thing that would give me pause (though probably not enough to bump me up to the next trim level). Are you comfortable without height adjustment? I suspect it's only an issue for people who are taller or shorter than average.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The ES I sat in had a height adjustable seat bottom - I guess I didn't realize it was a ES only thing.

There were a few cool things on the ES model. Bluetooth, cruise, adjustable seat (apparently). I don't trust the key system in it, so it's a nono for me.

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Icahabod said, "Cvt seems to run a couple hundred rpm higher than mine at comparable speeds. Also missing is the long laggy shift
    around 80 km/h that mine has."

Hopefully the higher RPM is just a cold weather thing. One thing that people have hated in CVT cars is high RPM when it is not needed, but the Mirage CVT always goes for minimum RPM. It would be nice if different programming gets rid of that little problem where a certain pedal position causes the car to stick at 80 km/hr.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, for your input on the Fit,note, fiesta, it sounds like Mirage is a better way to go All around!! And I'm sure the mirage price was better then all thoses three.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Thanks, for your input on the Fit,note, fiesta, it sounds like Mirage is a better way to go All around!! And I'm sure the mirage price was better then all thoses three.
    I just got the Mirage, so I certainly agree. However, that is only because M-88 and I agree on wanting to avoid Direct Injection for now. I've test driven the Honda Fit, and if the criteria are power, handling, appearance and cargo room, the Fit will blow the Mirage out of the water (as will a Mazda3). I prefer simple, efficient, inexpensive, and small so the Mirage is the winner. The turning radius is a hoot.

I don't expect much from my car, but the Mirage is actually very nice. Not just in equipment level, but the seats are comfortable all around, the driving position fits, and it handles well enough on bumpy/potholed roads. My previous car was a Focus, which was a bit better for cornering stability, acceleration, and such, but the difference isn't really that great (insignificant in daily driving).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yea, I knew that's what you meant. I'm one of those few that is concerned about doing the speed limit and saving money. Most people are in a big hurry to get where? Enjoy life enjoy driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I just got the Mirage, so I certainly agree. However, that is only because M-88 and I agree on wanting to avoid Direct Injection for now. I've test driven the Honda Fit, and if the criteria are power, handling, appearance and cargo room, the Fit will blow the Mirage out of the water (as will a Mazda3). I prefer simple, efficient, inexpensive, and small so the Mirage is the winner. The turning radius is a hoot.

I don't expect much from my car, but the Mirage is actually very nice. Not just in equipment level, but the seats are comfortable all around, the driving position fits, and it handles well enough on bumpy/potholed roads. My previous car was a Focus, which was a bit better for cornering stability, acceleration, and such, but the difference isn't really that great (insignificant in daily driving).
    I believe Nissan's "dual injection" should at least avoid the carbon issues. What year was your focus? I have a 2011 - I'm amazed that I can't fit in the back seat of it ... but I can fit in the back seat of a Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Yea, I knew that's what you meant. I'm one of those few that is concerned about doing the speed limit and saving money. Most people are in a big hurry to get where? Enjoy life enjoy driving.
    I like driving. So the slower I go, the longer I spend in the car. Win/win situation! I save money, avoid tickets ...