Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steering improvement / the 2014/15 Mirage steering problem

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    I know PS vs non-PS car are different, cars with out it have a higher gear ratio to make it easier. On hydraulic cars, I bypass the hoses and throw the pump away. I dont like a heavy wheel. I dont think the E motor would put a huge resistance on the wheel, assuming its a brushless motor you might feel it, but if its brushed, youll never even know its there. Something im going to check out someday for sure.
    If you test it out, please share. Some of my thoughts on this are just a theory or a hypothesis to be tested. Improved steering/control has been tackled in many different ways by other members. For me, the rear sway bar has helped a lot. Makes the entire car feel more stable, & I like that. Steering is way lighter than it needs to be.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think unplugging the electric power steering system would give you the same feel as a rack & pinion system designed without power steering, because you may be fighting the dead electric motor still attached to the system...
    Please understand this point: What makes the Mirage steering, numb and giving no feal of the road, is the comparatively high torque between the road wheels and the steering wheel. This acts like a constantly applied handbrake, hindering any normal movement of the steering column, there is no "feal of the road" left, because it can not overcome the excessive torque needed to reach the steering wheel.

Therefore, whatever powerassist system may by driveing that junk, it does not get rid of the excessive torque.
    If you analyze this closer, you will realize that any powerassist system will always work against whatever comes from the road wheels. If any "feal of the road" may be left, the power steering will actually neutralize it. This is physics and part of the fundamental principle of haveing the torque sensor immediately behind the steering wheel, and not within the steering gear.

If the level of assist is simply raised, the steeringwheel will turn lighter, but only after its too high initial torque is overcome, but the core problem remains. It is no use doctoring symptoms and doing nothing about the core problem.

Last edited by foama; 01-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Timinator (01-01-2019)