Thread: UK: Mitsubishi Mirage (2013 on) - Review (Parkers.co.uk)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

UK: Mitsubishi Mirage (2013 on) - Review (Parkers.co.uk)

A very thorough review of the car. I like how he explained why the car has soft suspension:

As a ‘global car’, the Mirage has been given very soft suspension so that it can cope with a wide range of road surfaces around the world. This makes it very comfortable around town, but at higher speeds on bumpy country roads it can start to feel wallowy and imprecise.
    Also of intereting note, the UK Mirage doens't get a spare tire, only a repair kit.

- Excellent running costs
    - Light weight
    - Ultra-low emissions
    - manual transmission a treat to use
    - willing little engine (though needs to be worked hard to wring good performance)
    - plain looking seats are firm but comfortable on a long trip
    - interior space

Dislikes:
    - Drab interior, unexciting exterior
    - engine quite noisy when pushed
    - Lower trim levels lack equipment
    - Doesn’t have the premium feel of some rivals
    - soft suspension is unsettled on bumpy roads at higher speeds

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...atchback-2013/

Name:  parkers.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  38.4 KB

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

That's one of the most detailed reviews of the Mirage I've read so far.

Here's what I don't get: one of THE most frequent criticisms of the car is its too-soft suspension. I accept that the car is engineered for a compliant ride on rougher roads in some developing markets. But we're reading this complaint from UK, Australia, NZ - and even from reviewers in the so-called "developing" countries!

Surely they could sort this out for some markets with a different set of springs/anti-roll bars. It would hardly affect the overall cost.

And two bits of trivia I learned from this review:

1) The entry level car (1.0L 5MT Mirage "1") is only available in white! Seriously?

2) Mitsubishi expects the Mirage 1 will only be ~5% of overall sales.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm kind of wondering why they only gave it a 3 out of 5 star rating despite EVERY rating being 3 stars or more...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Ha - good observation.

If you average all the categories, it should have gotten 3.6 stars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    They are building cars with differing specs for different markets allready so it would not be a problem to put in a different suspension springs and shocks etc to reduce the sort suspension criticism in certain markets.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree, but it doesn't seem like that is what they are doing.

In any case, improving handling is easily done with a few inexpensive aftermarket parts. We just need someone to make them for us! Thus, I have started this thread: What is available for aftermarket suspension parts for the Mirage?. Hopefully we can get some input and get some companies to make some stuff for us.