Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chrysler / Dodge to sell rebadged Mirage (Attitude?) in the US?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Chrysler / Dodge to sell rebadged Mirage (Attitude?) in the US?

Some of you may have heard about the recent axing of the Chrysler 200 and Dodge Dart. They want to use the manufacturing plant capacity to make more RAM trucks and Jeeps.

FCA to stop making Dart, 200; focus shifts to RAM, Jeep

In the same article, it also mentions that...

The company, according to Marchionne, is in continuing discussions with potential partners that could “provide a product from their facilities” to allow the company to cover gaps in the lineup left by the compact Dart and midsize 200. It’s unclear whether Fiat Chrysler would purchase re-badged cars or produce the cars using their current platform.
    This begs the question will they simply expand the rebadging already done in Mexico? Most of us know that Dodge is selling rebadged Mirage sedans there as the Dodge Attitude.

At least in the US, with no good mileage vehicles they will be facing fines from not meeting CAFE (corperate average fuel economy) ratings. This makes the Mirage a very attractive vehicle as it has such high mpg ratings. It can improve their CAFE rating and reduce and/or eliminate those fines plus probably make them a little cash in the process.

The benefit to us of course is lots more dealers selling Mirages means more Mirages sold which means more parts for repair or modding, more people looking to do fun stuff with them, etc. etc.

Time will tell what is to happen...

---

Related thread: Photos: Mirage sedan (Attrage) rebranded as "Dodge Attitude" for Mexico

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Kineo (02-09-2016)

Good theory!

I would say if Mitsu already had a new-ish midsize sedan in their lineup (they don't -- even they were looking for a partner company to rebadge a car), this would be a good possibility.

But would they go for just a subcompact? Seems less likely.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time Chrysler has sold re-branded Mirages/Colts. History does tend to repeat.

Name:  dodge_colt_1986.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  72.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Good theory!

I would say if Mitsu already had a new-ish midsize sedan in their lineup (they don't -- even they were looking for a partner company to rebadge a car), this would be a good possibility.

But would they go for just a subcompact? Seems less likely.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time Chrysler has sold re-branded Mirages/Colts. History does tend to repeat.

Attachment 5114
    I can't se the attachment ? (You can delete this post, when you figured out what was wrong )

Can you see it now?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    This begs the question will they simply expand the rebadging already done in Mexico? Most of us know that Dodge is selling rebadged Mirage sedans there as the Dodge Attitude.
    I would be very surprised if Chrysler's current owner, Fiat, with a vehicle competing in the same market segment (500) would consider selling their competition's products for them, when they could sell the 500 instead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (02-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True, but they are selling a competitor in Mexico, and the Mirage mpg spanks the 500.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Okay, quick question. Which sells more the Mirage or the 500?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks like their sales aren't too far apart:

2015 Fiat 500 (not the L or X): 25,084
    2015 Mitsu Mirage: 21,515

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    True, but they are selling a competitor in Mexico, and the Mirage mpg spanks the 500.
    Does Fiat sell any models in Mexico?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep.

http://www.fiat.com.mx/