Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: I completely regret buying the Mirage! Chose the wrong transmission.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Just sharing, I average between 12-14km/L with lots of short trips, stop and go traffic in the city @ 33 degrees celsius, plus hooning it on the highway before dawn with not so legal speeds and shifts at 6k RPM..

I got quite a heavy foot and don't really care about the FC unless it dropped below 10km/L, then I'll be alarmed by then.

Long trips usually gives out upto 18km/L, rarely 20's coz after the highways, traffic will catch up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    The original poster's experience reminds me of the recent recall regarding excessive fuel used in cold conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The original poster's experience reminds me of the recent recall regarding excessive fuel used in cold conditions.
    Excessive fuel on cold engine should contribute to oil dilution, but that should be only an issue if driving mainly consists of short trips. Prolonged drive >30min should warm oil enough to take care of water vapor and unburned fuel.

Any car MPG sucks in cold weather, but it doesn't really get cold in Vancouver, does it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Not sure what you are getting at regarding cold weather in Vancouver.

In any case, glad things are working better for the original poster.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Nope. The EPA testing method penalizes manual transmissions. But in real world driving, the manual will beat the CVT in the hands of a motivated driver.

Look at our fuel log for proof. Despite its lower EPA rating, after over 1.2 million kilometers of data the manual is doing better than the CVT.

The Mirage's CVT is really good, but common sense and a manual is even better if MPG is your goal, despite what the EPA says.
    Metro, you have mentioned this before, but I don't think you have explained why you say that the EPA testing method penalizes manual transmissions.

The data from the fuel log shows that the manual cars are doing 8% better than CVTs on average. Some of the CVTs are doing better than manuals and vice versa. Different drivers and different conditions. The only professional driver data from identical conditions that we have is the EPA testing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Government fuel economy testing (eg. EPA) handicaps manual transmissions specifically because (1) it prohibits upshifting where it would otherwise save fuel, and (2) it prohibits coasting. Instead, for the sake of repeatability in a lab setting, the test "driver" is instructed to shift up and down at prescribed speeds. And they're not particularly fuel efficient shift points.

That's why it's almost always easier to beat the EPA rating by a much wider margin with a manual than with an automatic: Upshift early & often. Downshift if you need power. That alone will get you above the ratings. Coasting in N where appropriate is just gravy on top.

You can read more details here: Shift points: EPA testing of manual transmissions (why beating MT ratings is easier)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

cyclopathic (02-24-2016),Eggman (02-24-2016),fc321 (02-24-2016),gunlak (02-25-2016),nickpon (02-24-2016)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not sure what you are getting at regarding cold weather in Vancouver.
    it's not often *truly* cold in Vancouver, but the difference between winter and summer temperatures still shows up quite noticeably in the mileage. if you leave the city and drive into the interior on a hot summer day, that's when you start to see some truly impressive numbers (which for me and my driving style is in the mid 50s).
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I get 28-30 mpg driving like a complete ass hat every day in my 5mt. I would never buy an automatic because there is no way in hell any kind of automatic will beat a stick when it comes to MPG.

On that note, the one time I drove conservatively I got about 38-39 mpg. But my conservative isn't everyone else's conservative, so I guess the car can get even more mpg.....

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have 2014 and 2015 Mirage stick 4-4.2 liter on HWY and 5-5.3 liter in the city. My daughter have 2015 CVT and it's same.
    So mirage all the way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Closed this thread due to original poster trolling, ranting and eventually being banned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)