Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car Washes

Country
    Curacao
    Thanks
    You need to screw off all antennas which are placed on the roof even the smaller 2015 ones if you use a carwash. It,s not good in the long term for your antenna it could even break in the carwash.

Well the ones I've been to usually have spinning foam brushes. Sometimes dirty is left on the paint and they don't do a very good job. I suppose touchless is good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Really, any carwash that is not touchless is messing up your paint. Typically you can SEE the dirt on the brushes of those spinning brushes, what do you think that's doing to your paint lol. Those "hand" washes where someone scrubs your car with one of those car brooms can be even worse. I was traveling once and went to an automated wash where they do that before you go through. The lady was scrubbing that **** so hard on my car it was moving, and there were scratches afterwards. They are typically very dirty, worn out, and almost never ever used with some type of lubricant, (dirty water is not a good lubricant). Even a touchless carwash if you look closely (especially on white) leaves a thin layer of dirt typically. Your best bet is hand washing with a properly lubricating soap, a microfiber type cloth (not wrung out), and a chamois rag for drying. If you can't be bothered, touchless is the next method. With my previous car I had exclusively used fancy car washes, and then a fancy hand wash place. Yea, they clean your car then cover it in a bunch of shiny chemicals, but when I decided to start washing myself I actually noticed the results of it. Since I traded for a newer MY, hand wash and touchless only. The only marks, after 16000mi since Sep mainly are the few that were there when I got it from the dealer (which are clearly from poor wash habits).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chris_top_her For This Useful Post:

m4v3r1ck (03-10-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't seen a carwash with "BRUSHES" in years... the ones that touch your car have all been upgraded to silicone (at least around here). No dirt is going to stick to it. The biggest problem with any car wash is the harshness of the soaps.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_top_her View Post
    Really, any carwash that is not touchless is messing up your paint. Typically you can SEE the dirt on the brushes of those spinning brushes, what do you think that's doing to your paint lol. Those "hand" washes where someone scrubs your car with one of those car brooms can be even worse. I was traveling once and went to an automated wash where they do that before you go through. The lady was scrubbing that **** so hard on my car it was moving, and there were scratches afterwards. They are typically very dirty, worn out, and almost never ever used with some type of lubricant, (dirty water is not a good lubricant). Even a touchless carwash if you look closely (especially on white) leaves a thin layer of dirt typically. Your best bet is hand washing with a properly lubricating soap, a microfiber type cloth (not wrung out), and a chamois rag for drying. If you can't be bothered, touchless is the next method. With my previous car I had exclusively used fancy car washes, and then a fancy hand wash place. Yea, they clean your car then cover it in a bunch of shiny chemicals, but when I decided to start washing myself I actually noticed the results of it. Since I traded for a newer MY, hand wash and touchless only. The only marks, after 16000mi since Sep mainly are the few that were there when I got it from the dealer (which are clearly from poor wash habits).
    It even scratches my front window! After that happens ... NO MORE machine car washes. Hand washes only

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Even touchless washes can harm your paint with the strong detergents they use, if left on too long. No matter what, washing your car is going to cause micro-abrasions, so the best you can do is just be gentle, let the soap do the work, and use clean mitts/towels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    Even touchless washes can harm your paint with the strong detergents they use, if left on too long. No matter what, washing your car is going to cause micro-abrasions, so the best you can do is just be gentle, let the soap do the work, and use clean mitts/towels.
    Preferably loads of microfiber clothes

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)