Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LED headlights!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

LED headlights!

So, for those who may not know, I'm into motorcycles. One of my motorcycles is a suzuki dr650, a big road legal dirt bike.

I bought a new set of lights for it from www.procycle.us. I have led signals, and an LED bulb waiting to be installed.

Out of curiosity I looked at the headlights of my Mirage. We use 9003 bulbs in our cars, and the H4 bulb for the Suzuki fits it and plugs right in!. The car doesn't seem to freak out about the light, even with one led and one halogen. The light is supposed to be equivalent to 100 watts on high beam, but uses only 20 watts. Supposed to be a 3600 lumen led.

These lights are $65 each, and when you plug in the bulb and turn the lights on, it will blind you in broad daylight. Put the bulb in the housing, and it's directed properly. So this looks like a cheap way to get some led lights. I will get pictures later, and make sure the led fits on both sides.

EDIT: closer inspection reveals that YES! This led headlamp fits both sides with little trouble, bright and dim both work, even the rubber rain guards that fit on the back of the mirage bulbs fit the leds. I want to check the beam pattern at night, and if it's all good I will order two more of them tomorrow and do a write up on the install.

Last edited by Tinker1980; 03-05-2015 at 10:18 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

Cani Lupine (03-05-2015),davidricardo86 (03-11-2015),DirectNova (03-06-2015),fatcat (03-05-2015),strawboss (07-01-2016),tomrad (07-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome! Just might do this myself if everything works out!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It seems when you go to brights with the LED lamps, that the low beam stays on. So you can have your lows and highs on with no other modification.

Only issue I'm seeing is if you are in some state or country that closely monitors what you have in your headlights. They are not supposed to be road legal, and they may be TOO bright.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Cool! I would consider doing this! by the way I had a 1982 Suzuki SP500 Enduro. That thing was awesome. Sank it in so many mud pits, pulled it out, kicked it over with mud shooting out the exhaust and just took off...amazing!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Cool! I would consider doing this! by the way I had a 1982 Suzuki SP500 Enduro. That thing was awesome. Sank it in so many mud pits, pulled it out, kicked it over with mud shooting out the exhaust and just took off...amazing!
    My DR used to belong to my brother. He was following us through the woods one day when I had my KLR650. I went around a huge mud hole and he tried to skirt it, and slid in. Submerged the bike. Pulled the plug, drained the carb, changed the oil, and rode it home. I've tumbled it down hills, dropped it, bounced off of trees, jumped it 15 feet off the ground, I have yet to do something to it that broke more than the turn signals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinker1980 For This Useful Post:

fatcat (03-06-2015)

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Kinda expensive,...
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    since these are LED's I would expect them to last quite a bit longer than the conventional bulbs? also, how is the distance the light travels in comparison to the conventional bulb?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    since these are LED's I would expect them to last quite a bit longer than the conventional bulbs? also, how is the distance the light travels in comparison to the conventional bulb?
    They are supposed to last 30,000 hours. Don't know what a conventional bulb would last. I do know the weak point for normal bulbs is being turned off and on, because of the different thermal expansion rates of the metal and glass. This is not an issue with led bulbs. Which is why I wish we could use leds in the turn signals.

Don't know about the light throw. I may try to pop one in at lunch here in a bit (it's dark outside, I work nights) to see what it looks like.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Looks like the same bulb here for $40.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-NEW-30W...c12f17&vxp=mtr

I would like to see more, can you show it installed in the housing too?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahintofpepperjack View Post
    Looks like the same bulb here for $40.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-NEW-30W...c12f17&vxp=mtr

I would like to see more, can you show it installed in the housing too?
    That's not the same unit.

Here are some quick pics I took at lunch before my hands froze. I put the normal bulb back in afterwards. It is obvious which side has the led and which has the halogen.

I intended to post a picture of the beam pattern but my phone is being a grevious pain in the a$$ and won't let me copy a link. I will have to do it at home.